Beer, bratwurst and Broadway will highlight this week’s offerings of fun things to do and see this weekend in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. Summer is still with us, but autumnal harbingers are arriving, and we don’t just mean the arrival of “Back to School” sales at Target. Here’s our look at amusements Friday through Sunday.
- “Pete’s Dragon.” Animated Disney tale of a orphan boy and his griendly flying reptile. Rated PG.
- “Sausage Party.” A somewhat raunchy animated story of life among the hot dogs and such at a supermarket. Voices by Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jonah Hill. Rated R.
- “Florence Foster.” A devoted husband tries to protect the ego of a very bad singer who thinks she is an opera diva. Hugh Grant, Meryl Streep. Rated PG-13.
Just one play out and it’s closing this weekend.
- “M*A*S*H” concludes its run at the Huntington Beach Playhouse (Goldenwest Street at Talbert Avenue) with performances Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m.
The free concert series in Huntington Central Park continues Sunday at 5 p.m. with a joint performance by the Covina Concert Band and Huntington Beach Concert band performing Broadway hits.
Turn off the Olympics and get out and do some stuff. Such as …
- The annual Huntington Beach Beer Festival will be held Sunday at Meadowlark Country Club (16782 Graham St. at Warner Avenue) from 7-10 p.m. Over 100 craft beers to sample and live music. $35 admission.
- The 53rd Huck Finn Fishing Derby will take place on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon at the Huntington Beach Pier. Children ages 4 to 15 will get the chance to get the biggest fish as well as be the best-dressed Huck or Becky Thatcher. For more information, go to www.HBsands.org .
Categories: Arts & Leisure