An unattended cook pot is being blamed for a fire that did an estimated $650,000 in damage to an apartment in Garden Grove Tuesday night and displaced a dozen people from their home.
According to Capt. Thanh Nguyen of the Garden Grove Fire Department, the blaze was in the Malabar Apartments at 9741 Bixby Ave. (south of Chapman Avenue) and was reported at 8:24 p.m.
Flames were showing from the second story window and extending to the third floor of the three-story structure. It took a half-hour to contain the fire and while there were no injuries, six adults and six children were displaced and assisted by the Red Cross.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, with food being cooked in the kitchen believed to be the starting point. Damage to the structure is estimated at $500,000, with $150,000 to contents.
Categories: Garden Grove