Garden Grove and Edison clinched at least ties for their league titles after big football victories Friday night. The Argonauts (7-2) crushed Bolsa Grande 69-0 to be guaranteed no worse than a tie for the Garden Grove League title, while Edison (8-1) thumped rival Fountain Valley 56-12 to lock up a piece of the Sunset League crown.
Here are Friday’s results for teams serving the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. More details will be posted as they become available.
- Pacifica 48, Western 14: The Mariners improved their chances for a CIF playoff berth with this Empire League win. Ben Jefferson passed for 176 yards and Raul Balderas rushed for 165 as the M’s improved to 5-4 overall and 2-2 in league.
- Orange 28, Ocean View 21: With the win over the Seahawks, the Panthers stopped a three-game skid and maybe got back into the playoff race. Orange is 6-3 overall and 1-3 in Golden West League action, while OVHS fell to 4-5 and 1-3.
- Westminster 50, Loara 21: The Lions kept CIF hopes alive with the win Friday at home. WHS is now 6-3 overall and 3-1 in Golden West League play.
- Edison 56, Fountain Valley 12: With Griffin O’Connor throwing for 397 yards, the Chargers overpowered the Barons in their traditional rivalry game at Orange Coast College. Andrew Ross passed for 118 yards for the losers. EHS is 8-1 and 4-0, while FVHS went to 1-9 and 0-5.
- Los Alamitos 38, Huntington Beach 0: It was a tough night for the Oilers as they lost a Sunset League contest to the Griffins. Dylan McCoy threw for 83 yards to lead the orange-and-black, who are now 4-5 overall and 2-2 in Sunset play. Los Al improves to 6-3 and 3-1.
- Newport Harbor 55, Marina 35: In a shootout at Estancia High, the Vikings fell short to the Sailors, and saw their record drop to 3-6 overall and 0-4 in Sunset action. Newport improved to 6-4 and 4-1.
- Garden Grove 69, Bolsa Grande 0: The Argonauts rolled over the Matadors to clinch at least a piece of the GGL title. Ruben Mendoza passed for two scores and ran for a third in the win. The Argos benefitted from two punts returned for touchdowns. Fitu Lupematasila ran for two scores from scrimmage and got another on a punt return. Grove is 4-0 in league play and can win the title outright next week if it beats La Quinta. Bolsa Grande fell to 1-8 overall and 0-4 in league.
Categories: High school sports