We’re coming up to the end of the year and a lot of people will be celebrating with parties and adult beverages. But there are other fun ways to ring out the old year and ring in the new. Here are a few choices in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
Not much new out this weekend, but we do recommend:
- “Downsizing,” a fantasy starring Matt Damon about the problems and benefits of trying to escape the pressures of your life.
- “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” is a surprisingly good family-adventure-action film that’s a sequel to the 1995 film. It stars Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black.
On Stage: Just you wait …
Local live theaters are dark now, but soon …
- “Bullets Over Broadway” will open on Feb. 22 at the Gem Theater on Main Street in Garden Grove.
- “The Glass Menagerie” opens at the Mainstage Theater at Golden West College in Huntington Beach on Feb. 16.
- “Fiddler on the Roof” opens at the Westminster Community Playhouse on Maple Street in Westminster on Jan. 12.
Events: “Splash In” the New Year
The 18th annual Surf City Splash will be held on Monday with the high point coming at noon when costumed Splashers jump into the water near the city pier in Huntington Beach. The event starts at 9 a.m. with registration and a pancake breakfast ($25) at Zack’s (405 Pacific Coast Highway), followed by a costume contest at 11:30 a.m. and the actual water works at 12 p.m. The event benefits the International Surfing Museum in Huntington Beach.
Categories: Arts & Leisure