Tuesday was a rough night for local boys’ high school basketball teams in the CIF-SS playoffs. All four of the schools serving the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area suffered defeats.
In contrast, three out of four local girls’ soccer teams won their games.
Among the boys’ teams, the biggest upset was Garden Grove’s 60-53 loss to Santa Maria. The Argonauts came into the game ranked number one in Division 5AAA and with a 27-1 mark, seeking a school record 28th win and a trip to the semifinals. Sebastian Castro let Grove with 24 points.
Ocean View (24-5) also suffered a loss, falling to Knight High of Palmdale 67-58 in Division 3AA. Seth Mishler was the top scorer for the Seahawks with 21 points.
Among the soccer teams, two will advance to the quarterfinals on Friday. In Division 3 action, Pacifica defeated Camarillo 1-0 and will face Canyon/Canyon Country. Westminster, in D-5, beat Animo Leadership of Inglewood 5-0 and will play Western Christian of Upland in the quarterfinal, also on Wednesday.
- Division 3AA: Knight/Palmdale 67, Ocean View 58
- Division 4A: Covina 71, Orangewood 64
- Division 5A: Santa Clarita Christian 86, La Quinta 43
- Division 5AAA: Santa Marina 60, Garden Grove 53
- Division 3: Pacifica 1, Camarillo 0
- Division 5: Westminster 5, Animo Leadership 0; Los Amigos 3, Immaculate Heart 1
- Division 6: Rialto 2, Garden Grove 1
Categories: High school sports