A public hearing on a proposed housing development with an “affordable density bonus” is set for Wednesday’s meeting of the Westminster City Council.
The hearing is continued from the meeting of Sept. 5 on the project planned for 13800, 13802 and 13812 Milton Ave. that would allow for the consolidation of three lots into one.
At the initial hearing, some area residents spoke against the project, arguing it would be too dense and lead to traffic and other issues.
Westminster’s city council voted to deny the request and continued the hearing to allow staff time to prepare findings supporting denial of the project. However, the developer has since revised the plan by reducing the number of units from 25 to 24 and making some changes in traffic circulation and parking.
The council meets at 7 p.m. in its chambers at 8200 Westminster Blvd.
Employees of the Year to be recognized
At its meeting on Tuesday, the Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education will hear a presentation honoring the GGUSD’s “Employees of the Year.”
The presentation will be made by Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education Sara Wescott, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education Kelly McAmis and Assistant Superintendent of Personnel Services Joli Armitage.
The board will meet in closed session at 5:05 p.m., followed by a study session on facilities and updates at 5:15 p.m. and the regular session at 7 p.m. The meeting will be held at 10331 Stanford Ave. in Garden Grove.
Slater Ave. bridge to close Friday
The Slater Avenue bridge over the San Diego (I-405) Freeway in Fountain Valley will be closed to all vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians at 1 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 21 and remain closed for approximately one year. It will be reconstructed as part of the “I-405 Improvement Project” being undertaken by the Orange County Transportation Authority.
Demolition is expected to commence on Sept. 29.
Drivers should use the following detours while the Slater Avenue bridge is closed:
- Eastbound route 1: Northbound Bushard Street to eastbound Warner Avenue to southbound Brookhurst Street to eastbound Slater Avenue
- Eastbound route 2: Southbound Bushard Street to eastbound Talbert Avenue to northbound Brookhurst Street to eastbound Slater Avenue
- Westbound route 1: Northbound Brookhurst Street to westbound Warner Avenue to southbound Bushard Street to westbound Slater Avenue
- Westbound route 2: Southbound Brookhurst Street to westbound Talbert Avenue to northbound Bushard Street to westbound Slater Avenue
Pedestrians and bicyclists can use the following detours while the bridge is closed:
- Eastbound: Northbound Bushard Street to eastbound Warner Avenue to southbound Buttonwood Street to southbound Banyan Street to Starfish Avenue to eastbound Slater Avenue
- Westbound: Northbound Starfish Avenue to northbound Banyan Street to northbound Buttonwood Street to westbound Warner Avenue to southbound Bushard Street to westbound Slater Avenue.
During demolition, both directions of I-405 will be closed overnight from approximately 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. between Brookhurst Street and Magnolia Street. Drivers will be routed off the freeway and detoured to the next open on-ramp. The closures are necessary to safely demolish the freeway overcrossing.
Categories: Across the Area
Leave a Reply