Voters in Garden Grove voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to impose a 1-cent sales tax – Measure O –in response to pleas from some community leaders that the city faced a financial crisis.
As of 10 a.m. on Wednesday, the Orange County Registrar of Voters reported that 15,573 voters (63.1 percent) had voted yes, while 9,110 (36.9 percent) were opposed.
The measure required a simple majority to be approved. The city won’t be receiving any revenue until April, however.
Measure O was placed on the ballot by the city council as financial projections showed that a change in the state employees pension fund is requiring that all cities pay a significantly larger share.
Garden Grove isn’t the only city pursuing a sales tax solution to the “structural deficit” caused in part by pension costs. Voters in Placentia, Santa Ana and Seal Beach approved similar measures, and “hotel taxes” were raised in San Clemente and Tustin.
In nearby Anaheim, a proposal to raise the minimum wage paid to workers at hotels subsidized by the city to $15 (and to $18 later) was narrowly ahead by the margin of 23,472 to 23,050.
Here are the results of city elections in the area. Incumbents are marked with an *. Not all candidates may be listed.
- Mayor: Steve Jones* 20,023; Donald Taylor 3,619.
- City Council District 1: George Brietigam 1,860; Gerry Serrano 1,428; Adam Degner 1,037.
- City Council District 3: Thu-Ha Nguyen* 2,470; Duy Nguyen 1,058.
- City Council District 4: Phat Bui* 1,613; Mark Anthony Paredes 1,222; Joe Dovinh 1,092.
Huntington Beach (four elected)
- Mike Posey* 21,893; Barbara Delgleize* 18,854; Kim Carr 17,038; Erik Peterson* 17,773; William “Billy” O’Connell* 13, 196; Ron Sterud 12,996; Shayna Lathus 11,063.
- Mayor: David Shawver 2,809; Brian Donahue 876; Israel Hilario-Perez 584.
- City Council District 1: Rigoberto Ramirez 790.
- City Council District 3: Gary Taylor 700; Ramona Macias 263; Loreen Berlin 255; James Michael Scott 195.
- Mayor: Tri Ta* 11,029; Christopher Ochoa 4,142.
- City Council (two elected): Tai Do 4,861; Chi “Charlie” Nguyen 4,550; Jamison Power 4059; Anita Rice 3,508; Amy West 3,342; Frances Nguyen 2,269; Andy Quach 1,431; Mark Lawrence 1,286; Samantha Bao Anh Nguyen 1,220.
Categories: Politics & Elections