We’re far enough into the league seasons for basketball that some crucial games are coming up. These are not necessarily showdowns, but the winners can dramatically improve their chances for a league title or CIF-SS playoff berth with a victory.
- Edison (16-7) at Newport Harbor (21-1) in a boys’ Surf League contest on Wednesday. If the Chargers hope for a league crown, this is a must-win.
- La Quinta (13-6) at Bolsa Grande (13-8) in a girls’ Garden Grove League game on Wednesday. The Matadors need a win to break into the top three of a very competitive league this year.
- Westminster (8-11) at Garden Grove (17-3) in a boy’s contest on Friday. Lions nearly knocked off the Argonauts in their first go-round. Grove would like a win to stay close to first place Ocean View.
Farewell to a good sport
After 11 seasons as head football coach at Los Amigos High School, Carl Agnew is stepping down. He will take the job of defensive coordinator at Lakewood High, while continuing to teach at LAHS.
Agnew’s teams posted a 57-65 record. His 2008 squad got a co-championship with Garden Grove High, and the Lobos took second place in the Garden Grove League five times behind the Argonauts.
Once again, we rank the high school basketball teams serving the cities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
In our boys’ hoops ladder, Edison remains on top, while Huntington Beach is the girls’ leader. Take a look and see what you think, after they are posted later today.
We’ll have a dozen of those …
Twelve local high school winter sports teams were recognized in CIF-SS polls released on Monday afternoon.
- Division 3AA has Pacifica has 12th place
- Division 4AA: Garden Grove has 10th place
- Division 2AA: Orangewood is seventh
- Division 4A: Santiago is eighth.
Girls’ water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is 15th
- Division 4: Edison is ninth.
- Division 6: Los Amigos is sixth
- Division 1: Edison received votes
- Division 2: Santiago is fourth
- Division 5: Los Amigos is seventh
- Division 2: Pacifica is fourth
- Division 5: Los Amigos is fourth.
And here are the scores …
Results from Monday’s area prep basketball.
- Westminster 78, Western 46
- Anaheim 77, Magnolia 67 (OT)
- Ocean View 60, Godinez 42
- Ocean View 46, Godinez 40
- Anaheim 64, Magnolia 15
- Westminster 61, Western 45
- Segerstrom 63, Garden Grove 54.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports