If it’s March, it’s time for the initial 2019 baseball and softball High Five rankings of the top teams serving the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
In softball, our top pick goes to … surprise! – Huntington Beach. The Oilers are ranked sixth in the nation, despite having played an abbreviated schedule with a 2-0 mark so far. Devyn Greer pitched both those victories and Grace Uribe had a hot bat, going 5-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs.
The baseball High Five is filled out by Edison, La Quinta, Marina and Garden Grove. The softball quintet is completed by Westminster, Santiago, Marina and La Quinta. Records do not reflect Monday action.
Not only do teams from Huntington Beach High rank high locally in baseball and softball, the orange-and-black has a powerhouse boys’ volleyball team, too.
On Saturday, the Oilers placed second in the Orange County Championships, losing 2-0 to Newport Harbor. Overall, it’s already been a pretty good season for the boys and girls from Main Street.
CIF-SS polls make their return
Here are the section rankings for local teams in baseball, softball and volleyball, as released on Monday.
- Division 1: Huntington Beach (third).
- Division 7: Bolsa Grande (seventh).
- Division 2: Marina (fifth).
- Division 6: Santiago (first), Westminster (second).
- Division 7: La Quinta (first).
- Divisions 1 & 2: Huntington Beach (sixth).
- Division 4: Garden Grove (ninth).
And some Tuesday scores
- Segerstrom 2, Western 0
- J Serra 5, Huntington Beach 2
- Rancho Alamitos 3, Los Amigos 2
- Orange 21, Saddleback 2
- Loara 6, La Quinta 3
- Pacifica 3, Millikan 3
- Santa Ana Valley 6, Bolsa Grande 5.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesday’s during the high school academic year.
Categories: High school sports