Aside from the CIF-SS playoffs, the biggest high school baseball event each year is the Boras Baseball Classic. Although this prestigious tournament isn’t an official state or national title post-season series, the winners have sometimes been named California or even U.S. champs.
Orange County teams pepper the 32-team field, with HBHS, JSerra, Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran participating. The championship game will be held on April 6 at 9 a.m. at MDHS.
For more information, go to www.borasclassicca.com.
Oilers are still number ones
Teams from Huntington Beach High continue to wield the heaviest bats in The Tribune’s weekly High 5 recognizing the top baseball and softball teams in our coverage area.
Here are our rankings of the top five. Your mileage may vary.
CIF-SS polls for this week
Here are the local teams named in CIF-SS polls for spring sports as posted on Monday.
- Division 1: Huntington Beach (fourth)
- Division 3: Marina (sixth)
- Division 5: La Quinta (received votes)
- Division 1: Huntington Beach (eighth)
- Division 2: Marina (third)
- Division 6: Santiago (first), Westminster (third)
- Division 7: La Quinta (first)
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach (second)
- Division 3: Bolsa Grande (received votes)
- Division 4: Garden Grove (received votes)
- Division 3: Bolsa Grande (ninth)
- Division 5: Los Amigos, Santiago (received votes).
Here are softball scores from Monday games involving teams representing the cities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Huntington Beach 7, Edison 6
- Loara 5, La Quinta 3
- Santiago 12, Lake Oswego 2.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports