Valerie Jorgensen singled home Jaiden Stern with the winning run in the bottom of the 11th inning Thursday as Pacifica High opened the CIF-SS Division 1 softball playoffs with a marathon 3-2 win over Marina High on the home diamond.
Marina (11-11) came in as the at-large team from the Surf League against Pacifica, which was the Empire League champs and ranked third in the division, but the Vikings gave the M’s all they could handle, taking a 2-0 lead. The Mariners tied it with two runs in the sixth, and the rest of the game was scoreless until the home team could push across the winning run.
In the 11th, Stern singled to center field, and later stole second. One out later, Jorgensen stroked a line drive to right center to bring Stern home and finish the game.
CIF-SS SOFTBALL (involving local teams; results will be posted as available)
- Pacifica 3, Marina 2 (11 innings)
- Huntington Beach 3, Greek Oak 1
- Newport Harbor 10, Santiago 0
- Rosary 17, Loara 0
- Ocean View 15, Savanna 1
- La Quinta at Capistrano Valley
- Rancho Alamitos 14, Costa Mesa 4
- Magnolia 15, Leuzinger 4.
- Orangewood Academy 10, Santa Ana 7.
- Huntington Beach 1, Santa Margarita 0
CIF-SS GIRLS SOCCER (SoCal Regionals)
- Pacifica 2, Santiago/Corona 1
CIF-SS BOYS BASKETBALL
• Marina 76, Shalhevet 74
Categories: High school sports