The Feb. 1 meeting of the Garden Grove Unified School District had more than just discussions and voting.
In celebration of the lunar new year – Tet – dragon dancers from the Vietnamese Student Association at Bolsa Grande High School performed for the board and audience.
Board members got into the spirit of the day by wearing traditional Vietnamese garb.
Many celebrations of Tet were held at GGUSD campuses, including Lake, McGarvin and Walton intermediate schools and Bryant and Paine elementary schools. The school district serves most of Garden Grove as well as parts of Anaheim, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, Stanton and Westminster.
“Best of HB” now set for Feb. 24
The annual “Best of Huntington Beach” event has been rescheduled to Thursday, Feb. 24 at the Senior Center in Central Park (Talbert Avenue and Goldenwest Street) from 6-8 p.m.
Ten awards will be given from among over 35 nominees. The event is presented by the Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Scholars and graduates honored
Students from the West Orange County area who have been named to the dean’s list at colleges and universities and those winning degrees include:
Dean’s list from the University of Utah:
- From Garden Grove: Andrew Vu
- From Huntington Beach: Henry Nguyen, Ashlynn Willingham, Kyle Christy, Ainsley Lane, Brian Miller, Elizabeth Stickley, Allie Faubert, Allison Barry, Austin Stanton, Ava Norquist, Emilee Carter, Kirstin Sallstrom, Tim Withers, William Campregher, Elle Saccacio, Portia Roberts, Emilee Carter
Dean’s list from Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- From Garden Grove: Nguyen Nguyen
Graduate of University of Tampa
- From Huntington Beach: Ashlyn Sutherland
Dean’s list from Dixie State University
- From Huntington Beach: Jacob Rostow, Kaitlin Tsukamoto
Dean’s list from Seton Hall University
- From Huntington Beach: Joshua Axton
Dean’s list from University of New England
- From Garden Grove: Kelli Van Dam
Dean’s list from The Citadel
- From Huntington Beach: Dante Rovere
GG Lions Club clothing drive Feb. 19-20
A clothing drive for the needy will be held by the Garden Grove Lions Club on Saturday, Feb. 19 and Sunday, Feb. 20 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dropoff will be at the Lions Club building, 9860 Larson Ave., Garden Grove.
Sought are clean, wearable unwanted clothing free of stains and tears for men, women, kids and infants.Also welcome are paired shoes, handbags, towels, linens and blankets. Questions? Contact Susan Lerma by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (714) 925-8922.
Lerma and Skelton honored by Chamber
The 2022 Garden Grove Chamber of Commerce’s Man and Woman of the Year have been selected. They are David Skelton and Susan Lerma.
They will be honored at the annual chamber Gala Dinner and Awards on April 23 at the Embassy Suites Anaheim South on Harbor Boulevard in Garden Grove.
Nominees sought for “Women of Distinction”
Know a woman who has contributed in a positive way to the Stanton community? Nominations are being sought for the 2022 Women of Distinction Awards. Nominations must be submitted by 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 17. To nominate online, go to StantonCA.gov/WoD . Paper forms are also available. For more information, call Kelsey Ransom at (714) 890-4271 or e-mail KRansom@StantonCA.gov .
Cleanups scheduled by MCSD
Five cleanup events are scheduled in 2022 for Westminster and Midway City, each running from 8 a.m. to noon. The schedule includes:
- March 12 at district headquarters (14451 Cedarwood St., Westminster) with 10 bins
- April 30 near Park West Park, four bins
- June 18 near Bolsa Chica Park, four bins
- Aug. 13 near Russell Paris Park, four bins
- Oct. 15 near Liberty Park, four bins
Residents wishing to discard items are urged to arrive early, since as soon as the bins are filled, the event is over.
Submit news items and photos to us at email@example.com .
Categories: Across the Area
Leave a Reply