The Garden Grove League is particularly stacked with talented and strong football teams this year. So the question becomes this: are any of the other five teams in the GGL strong enough to knock off Rancho Alamitos, winners of the last four league titles?
Mike Enright’s squad would have to be considered the favorite to win a fifth straight, but the Vaqueros (6-0 overall and 1-0 after a key win over Los Amigos last week) must first defeat Bolsa Grande Friday night.
It’s been a while since the Matadors (4-2, 1-0) contended for the title in football, but the Bolsans have been the surprise team of the GGL. The last time BGHS won as many as four games was 2008, when they finished 4-6 (and 1-4 in league) under coach Jim Lamb.
Friday’s game between Huntington Beach (4-2, 0-1) and Fountain Valley (4-2, 0-1) could go a long way toward shuffling those cards.
Upset of the week? Pacifica (3-3, 1-0) takes on a heavily favored Cypress (6-0, 1-0) team Friday, but the Mariners have a talented offense that just might be able to give the Cents a run for their money if it can detonate early and not have to play from behind.
Here is the schedule for area high school football games this week. As always, the times, locations and opponents are subject to change without notice. Check with the school before heading to the game.
- Edison (6-0 overall, 1-0 in league) at Newport Harbor (4-2, 0-1)
- Santiago (4-2, 0-1) at La Quinta (4-2, 0-1)
- Calvary Chapel/Santa Ana (3-4, 2-1) at Orange (4-2, 2-0)
- Western (5-1, 1-0) at Magnolia (0-6, 0-1).
- Glenn (2-3) at Garden Grove (2-3)
- Fountain Valley (4-2, 0-1) at Huntington Beach (4-2, 0-1)
- Rancho Alamitos (6-0, 1-0) at Bolsa Grande (4-2, 1-0)
- Loara (3-3, 1-0) vs. Los Amigos (4-2, 0-1)
- Marina (1-5) at Charter Oak (6-0)
- Ocean View (1-6) at Westminster (6-0)
- Pacifica (3-3, 1-0) at Cypress (6-0, 1-0).
Categories: High school sports