Nine area high school football teams will be in the first round of the CIF-SS playoffs starting on Friday.
The most surprising of those is Bolsa Grande. The Matadors (5-5) not only will be making their first playoff appearance in 34 years, they are seeded first in Division 14.
Last year, a Loara team that finished fourth in the Garden Grove League, went on to win a CIF-SS title. Could the Matadors, who tied for third in the GGL and won a coin flip to make the playoffs, make history repeat?
The Mats will host Duarte (5-5) at their home stadium.
The only other area team that’s seeded is Westminster (9-1), rated second in Division 11.
The most intriguing matchups of the opening round include the D-1 contest between Lutheran High of Orange and Edison. The Chargers have a better record at 9-1, but the Lancers are an at-large team from the super-tough Trinity League.
In D-6, Huntington Beach (5-5) will visit Orange (8-2) in the only contest featuring two teams from The Tribune coverage area.
Here are the pairings for football, as posted by the CIF-SS. All games are scheduled for Friday at 7 p.m.
- Lutheran/Orange (6-4) at Edison (9-1)
- Huntington Beach (5-5) at Orange (8-2)
• Buena (5-5) at Western (8-1).
- Moreno Valley (7-3) at Garden Grove (9-1)
- Schurr (6-4) at Westminster (9-1)
- Rancho Alamitos (9-1) at Valley Christian/Cerritos (3-7)
- Arrowhead Christian (6-4) at Los Amigos (8-2)
• Duarte (5-5) at Bolsa Grande (5-5).
Categories: High school sports