Edison High’s football team tightened its grip on the Sunset League title with a big win Friday night, while La Quinta continued its march toward a Garden Grove League showdown with defending champion Garden Grove High in two weeks.
The Chargers rolled past Marina 52-14, while La Quinta bested Bolsa Grande 42-10. Here are results from games involving schools serving the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
- Edison 52, Marina 14: Charger quarterback Griffin O’ Conner threw for five touchdowns and 321 yards in the Sunset League win over the Vikings. Cooper Maierstein led Marina with 158 yards rushing and two scores. Edison is now 7-1 overall and 3-0 in league and next faces Fountain Valley. Marina went to 3-5 and 0-3 and has Newport Harbor (5-4, 3-1) next on its schedule.
- Los Alamitos 62, Fountain Valley 14: For the third straight week, the Barons gave up over 60 points as they lost to the Griffins. FVHS, led by Andrew Ross with 98 yards passing, fell to 1-8 overall and 0-4 in Sunset action. Next week the foe is long-time rival Edison.
- Santa Ana 14, Ocean View 7: It was a tense, tight game, but the Saints prevailed in this Golden West League contest at Santa Ana Stadium. Xavier Salgado scored the Seahawks’ sole touchdown as OVHS fell to 4-4 overall and 1-2 in league to the unbeaten (8-0, 3-0) hosts.
- Pacifica 34, Cypress 16: Led by versatile quarterback Ben Jefferson, the Mariners upset the Centurions Friday night. He passed for three scores and ran for another as the M’s improved their Empire League mark to 1-2, and their overall record to 4-4.
- Los Amigos 27, Santiago 20: In a GGL game at Garden Grove Stadium, the Lobos outlasted the Cavaliers to improve their overall mark to 5-3, 2-1 in league. Next up is league co-leader La Quinta.
- La Quinta 42, Bolsa Grande 10: The Aztecs improved to 7-1 with the win at Bolsa Grande Stadium. Michael Nadeau was the star for the blue-and-gold, passing for 227 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 126 more yards. The top receiver was Dylan Do, who caught three passes for 69 yards and one touchdown. LQHS is 3-0 in Garden Grove League action and will next face Los Amigos on Thursday, then play co-GGL leader Garden Grove (6-2, 3-0) on Nov. 3 for the league title.
Categories: High school sports