Wednesday’s clash for the lead in the Sunset League was a bit more anticlimactic than expected. Edison and Los Alamitos each came into the game at the Charger gym with 3-0 records in league, but in the end the two teams weren’t that similar.
Riding a big third quarter surge, the Chargers defeated the Griffins 72-56 and took over the lead in the league in boys’ basketball. Edison led by just four points at halftime, but then the afterburners kicked in. The green-and-gold outscored the visitors 17-7 and went on from there to win the game.
Randall Walker led EHS with 38 points, and Josh Phillips scored 15. Edison’s overall record improved to 16-3; Los Al went to 14-6.
Here are other scores from Wednesday night basketball play for teams serving the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
- Huntington Beach 59, Marina 35
- Edison 72, Los Alamitos 56
- Westminster 58, Orange 51
- Newport Harbor 55, Fountain Valley 50
- Rancho Alamitos 60, Garden Grove 54
- Ocean View 83, Santa Ana 31
- Santiago 67, Los Amigos 50
- Bolsa Grande 54, La Quinta 54
- Bolsa Grande 32, La Quinta 22
- Huntington Beach 69, Marina 37
- Garden Grove 50, Rancho Alamitos 42
Categories: High school sports