A portable air conditioning unit is being blamed for a fire in an apartment building in Huntington Beach Wednesday morning.
According to Captain Steven Teasdale of the HB Fire Department, the blaze was reported at 5:48 a.m. at 16171 Springdale St. Units from Fountain Valley, the Orange County Fire Authority and the HBFD responded and upon arrival, light smoke was showing from the third story of the building.
Firefighters checked to make sure the residents were safe and the fire was contained to one unit, with the building’s sprinkler system working to suppress the flames. One resident was evaluated by paramedics, but not taken to a hospital.
The HBFD considers the incident a useful reminder about the importance of sprinklers. “Eighty-five percent of fire-related fatalities occur in residential occupancies,” according to Capt. Teasdale. A working sprinkler system can save lives and property, and keep fires from spreading.
Categories: Huntington Beach
Leave a Reply