A “revenge” game for the USC Trojans and a lot of other action at the pro, college and high school level this weekend for football fans in the Garden Grove-Huntington-Beach-Westminster area.
- The Los Angeles Rams are undefeated … through one game. They will go for two in a row on Sunday at the Coliseum taking on the Washington Redskins (0-1). Can Jared Goff put together two solid games in a row? Will fans show up in big numbers? We will see.
- The Los Angeles Chargers will host the Miami Dolphins on Sunday at Stubhub Center in Carson. LA is 0-1 but came very close in last week’s 24-21 loss to Denver. The Dolphins had their opener postponed because of weather.
College: Bruins, Trojans put rankings on the line
- UCLA is on the road Saturday, facing the Memphis University Tigers on Saturday. Bruins are 2-0 and the Tigers are 1-0, having defeated Louisville-Monroe 37-29 and had one game postponed because of weather. UCLA is ranked 25th in the nation.
- USC will seek to avenge a loss which cost the Trojans a national title in 2006 when they host Texas on Saturday. SoCal is 2-0 and the Longhorns (1-1). USC is fourth in the nation.
- Chapman University’s football team has a bye and will return to action on Sept. 23, visiting Pomona-Pitzer in the SCIAC opener.
- Golden West College (1-1) will host Chaffey (1-1) at 1 p.m. in a non-conference game.
High school: Teams trying out some styles, players
Pre-league games continue as the teams sort out just what and who will be their best bets once the “real” season starts soon. The more interesting matchups look like these:
- Edison at San Juan Hills continues the Chargers’ tough pre-season schedule. EHS has had some injury problems. Will they be at full strength? Who will win? Our guess: Edison.
- Pacifica at Garden Grove is a contest of long-time rivals. The Mariners are very strong this year and Ben Jefferson, the PHS quarterback, is fun to watch. Grove’s defense is big, but not fleet of foot. Our guess: Pacifica.
- Westminster at Katella pits two programs on the rise. The Lions surprised some with a big win over a good Marina team last week. Our guess: Westminster.
Here’s the complete schedule for this week. As always, times and places are subject to change without notice.
- Thursday: Bolsa Grande (1-2) at Century (2-0), Costa Mesa (2-1) at Los Amigos at Bolsa Grande Stadium, Ocean View (2-0) at Santiago (1-1) at Garden Grove High, Westminster (2-0) at Katella (2-1) at Glover Stadium.
- Friday: Pacifica (3-0) at Garden Grove (1-2), Orange (2-0) at Laguna Beach (1-2), Marina (2-1) at Santa Ana (1-1), Huntington Beach (0-3) at Wilson of Long Beach (1-2), Edison (2-1) at San Juan Hills (2-1), Rancho Alamitos (1-1) at Anaheim (0-2) at Glover Stadium, Loara (1-1) at La Quinta (2-0) at Bolsa Grande Stadium.