In a high-scoring final, France defeated Croatia 4-2 in Moscow on Sunday to win the 2018 World Cup soccer title, that’s nation’s second cup ever.
The French team benefitted from an own goal by Croatia – first ever in a Cup final – and got goals from Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe. France won its first Cup in 1998, defeating Brazil in 1998.
For the first time since 1986, the United States team did not qualify for the World Cup. The next chance for Uncle Sam’s boys will be in 2022 in Qatar.
Dodgers get series win over Angels
After losing a 3-0 lead, the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday took the deciding game of the L.A. leg of the Freeway Series, defeating the Angels 5-3.
The home team built a three-run lead behind Clayton Kershaw, but Jefry Marte tied it in the top of the fourth with a three-run home run. The Dodgers pulled ahead for good on a home run by Enrique Hernandez in the seventh and an RBI single in the eighth by Andrew Toles, driving in Cody Bellinger.
With the All-Star break up next, the Angels finish the “first half” of the season with a 49-48 record, and fourth place in the American League West. The Dodgers are 53-43 are used Sunday’s win to leapfrog ahead of Arizona into first place in the National League West.
Prep grid season not that far off
If it’s mid-July, that must mean that high school football is not far off. The prep gridiron scene starts earlier these days, with many local teams playing one or two games in August, before most schools even begin classes.
Here are the opening games for local teams:
- Bolsa Grande: vs. Magnolia on Aug. 17.
- Garden Grove: vs. Orange on Aug. 24.
- Huntington Beach: vs. Canyon, on Aug. 17.
- La Quinta: vs. Anaheim (at Bolsa stadium) on Aug. 24
- Los Amigos: at Dana Hills on Aug. 17.
- Marina: at Torrance on Aug. 24.
- Ocean View: vs. Santiago on Aug. 16.
- Orange: at Garden Grove on Aug. 24.
- Pacifica: at Bell Gardens on Aug 10.
- Rancho Alamitos: at Carpinteria on Aug. 17.
- Santiago: at Ocean View on Aug. 16.
- Western: at Cerritos on Aug. 17.
- Westminster: vs. Yucca Valley on Aug. 17.