Most of us are still in swimsuits and shorts, but about half of our local high school football teams are pulling on jerseys and strapping on helmets as the prep gridiron season starts this Friday.
The opening of the campaign pushed backward by the regional and state playoffs, nine teams from schools serving Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster will be kicking off with more than a month remaining in summer. That also mean that – in some cases – the football opener will come as many as two weeks before classes start.
Among the first week standout matchups are the Edison-Tesoro game and Marina’s 3,000-mile trek across the nation. The Chargers and Titans are both perennial Orange County powers who had slightly “down” seasons last year, and the Vikings will travel to the East Coast to take part in the Key West Classic in Key West. Fla.
Here’s a look at those early contests. Most games are at 7 p.m.
• Bolsa Grande (1-9 last year) will host Magnolia (1-9) at its home stadium.
• Edison (8-4) will host Tesoro (5-6) at Cap Sheue Field, Huntingtpn Beach High.
• Huntington Beach (3-7) visits Canyon (5-5) at Fred Kelly Stadium.
• Los Amigos (2-8) will visit Dana Hills (3-7).
• Marina (3-7) will visit South Broward (5-6) in Key West, Fla.
• Pacifica (10-2) will host Norwalk (7-4) at Monsoor Stadium, Garden Grove High.
• Rancho Alamitos (6-4) will visit Carpinteria (6-5).
• Western (4-6) will host Cerritos (1-9) at Handel Stadium.
• Westminster (9-3) will host Yucca Valley (7-3) at Boswell Field.
Schedules including dates, times and locations can change without notice. If you’re going to a game, check with the school before you leave.
Categories: High school sports