This week will be one to remember for high school football fans, as several local teams are involved in clashes with highly-ranked opponents.
The top game looks at to be Capistrano Valley vs. Pacifica Friday at Monsoor Stadium on the Garden Grove High School campus. Both teams are 2-0 and ranked in CIF-SS top 10s. Capo Valley is ranked fifth in Division 3, while the Mariners are first in Division 7.
Another interesting clash will pit Garden Grove (ranked fourth in Division 9) against Santa Ana (ranked first) in Division 8. And don’t forget Edison and Canyon on Thursday, two 0-2 teams whose record doesn’t show how good they can be.
This week sees the debut of our 2018 High 5 poll, ranking what the Tribune sees as the best five local prep football teams. See if you agree.
And here’s the lineup of games involving high school football teams of interest to the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Stanton-Westminster area. All games are scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Anaheim (1-0) at Rancho Alamitos (0-2) at Monsoor Stadium (GGHS).
- Estancia (1-0) at La Quinta (0-1) at Bolsa Grande Stadium.
- Canyon (0-2) at Edison (0-2) at Sheue Field (HBHS).
- Laguna Hills (1-0) at Marina (1-0) at Boswell Field (Westminster HS).
- Costa Mesa (0-2) at Loara (0-1) at Handel Field (Western HS).
- University/Irvine (0-1) at Orange (0-1) at Fred Kelly Stadium (El Modena HS).
- Cerritos (1-1) at Bolsa Grande (1-1).
- Capistrano Valley (2-0) at Pacifica (2-0) at Monsoor.
- Garden Grove(1-0) at Santa Ana (2-0).
- Baldwin Park (0-2) at Western (1-1).
- Wilson/Long Beach (0-2) at Huntington Beach (2-0).
- Westminster(0-2) at Kaiser/Fontana (1-1).
- Santiago (1-0) at Century (1-0).
- Vaquez/Acton (1-1) at Ocean View (1-0).
- Magnolia(1-1) at Bellflower (2-0).
Be advised: Times, days and locations are subject to change without notice. If you are planning to attend, check with the school before leaving home.
Latest polls for fall sports
Six local teams made the CIF-SS football Top 10s in polls released on Monday.
Huntington Beach is ranked ninth in Division 6, while Pacifica is first in Division 7. In Division 9, Garden Grove is fourth and Orange is 10th. In Division 11, Western is fourth and Ocean View is seventh.
For girls’ volleyball, five locals won mention. In Divisions 1 and 2, Huntington Beach was not ranked but received some votes. In Division 7, Ocean View is second, Western 10th and Garden Grove was unranked but got votes. In Division 8, Orange received votes.
Note to coaches: Help give recognition to your athletes. Send stats, photos, records, etc. to us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories: High school sports