Although this is the week that most high school football teams in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Stanton-Westminster area are beginning league play, the most intriguing contest could well be a non-league clash on Friday.
Western High (4-1) will visit Garden Grove High (5-0) at Monsoor Stadium in a battle between two highly-ranked, offensively different teams. The Pioneers are first in the CIF-SS Division 11 poll this week, while the Argonauts are third in Division 9.
Western, located in Anaheim (but also serving much of Stanton) is led by Anthony Munoz, a senior quarterback who’s already passed for 1,674 yards and 24 touchdowns. He’s only been intercepted once in 149 attempts.
The Argonauts are led by Mike Carrillo, who’s rushed for 883 yards and 13 touchdowns. But Grove quarterback Jake Zazueta is an elusive and mobile quarterback who’s passed for 432 yards and five scores, while running for another 329 yards and three TDs.
It may come down to defense; Grove has twice held opponents to seven points or less; Western has three times given up 28 points or more. The Pioneers have scored 42 points or more four times, while Grove has hit that point three times.
Here’s a list of this week’s area high school football matchups. As always, times, location, dates and even opponents are subject to change without notice, so call ahead. All games are scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Bolsa Grande (1-4) at Loara (3-2) at Handel Stadium.
- Corona del Mar (4-1) at Edison (2-3) at Sheue Field.
- Santiago (3-2) at Rancho Alamitos (2-3) at Monsoor Stadium.
- Western (4-1) at Garden Grove (5-0).
- Los Amigos (3-2) at La Quinta (2-3) at Bolsa Grande Stadium.
- Magnolia (2-3) at Century (1-4).
- Westminster (0-5) at Ocean View (5-0).
- Pacifica (2-3) at Cypress (2-3) at Handel Stadium.
- Santiago (3-2) at Rancho Alamitos (2-3) at Bolsa Grande.
- Huntington Beach (4-1) at Newport Harbor (3-1-1).
- Laguna Beach (4-1) at Marina (2-4).
• Saddleback (1-4) at Orange (4-1) at Fred Kelly Stadium.
Ranks and polls and such
This week’s CIF-SS polls for fall sports are as follows for local squads.
- Division 6: Huntington Beach is eighth.
- Division 9: Garden Grove is third; Orange is fifth.
- Division 11: Western is first; Ocean View is third.
Boys’ water polo.
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is eighth.
- Division 6: Los Amigos is fifth.
Boys’ cross country.
- Division 4: Ocean View is 10th.
- Division 5: Pacifica is unranked, but received some votes.
- Division 7: Ocean View is seventh.
- Division 3: Garden Grove is fourth; Marina is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 4: Magnolia is second; Bolsa Grande is unranked but received some votes.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays (or late Monday) during the high school sports year.
Categories: High school sports