It’s championship week in high school football for teams in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Stanton-Westminster area.
Games on Thursday and Friday nights will determine who will walk off the field as league champs, and who will walk off with the consolation prize of a likely CIF playoff berth.
- Segerstrom (8-1, 2-0) and Garden Grove (8-1, 2-0) will be making history on Thursday when they clash at Monsoor Stadium. The Big 4 League is brand new and winner will be its initial champ. The Argonauts are favored.
- Orange (8-1, 4-0) will clash with Santa Ana (7-2, 4-0) on Friday for the Orange Coast League title. This looks like a toss-up to us.
- Western (8-1, 2-0) will host Ocean View (8-1, 1-1) for the inaugural Pac 4 crown on Friday. The Pioneers will be the favorite, as the Seahawks got thumped last week by Laguna Beach.
- Huntington Beach (6-3, 2-2) will visit Corona del Mar (7-1-1, 3-0-1) at Newport Harbor High on Friday. If the Oilers can pull off an upset, they could knock the Sea Kings out of the championship picture.
- Edison (5-4, 3-1 in Sunset League) at Los Alamitos (7-1-1, 3-1) at Cerritos College. If the Chargers can upset the Griffins that would really tangle the league title situation.
- Rancho Alamitos (6-3, 4-0) at Loara (7-2, 4-0) at Glover Field in Anaheim at 4 p.m. Friday in a game that will determine the Garden Grove League crown.
Other games this week (all on Friday) include:
- Marina (2-7 overall, 0-2 in Big 4 play) at Westminster (0-9, 0-2).
- Pacifica (4-5, 2-2 in the Empire League) at Kennedy (3-6, 1-3).
- Magnolia (2-7, 0-4 in the Orange League) at Santa Ana Valley (1-3, 4-5).
CIF-SS polls for fall sports winding up
Here are local teams noted in CIF-SS polls released on Monday afternoon.
- Division 9: Orange is third, Garden Grove is seventh.
- Division 11: Western is first, Ocean View is fifth.
Note: Football pairings will be available after 10 a.m. on Sunday at http://www.CIF-SS.org.
Boys’ water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is 19th.
- Division 6: Los Amigos is seventh.
- Division 7: Rancho Alamitos is third.
- Boys Division 4: Ocean View is fifth.
- Girls Division 3: Pacifica is 16th.
- Girls Division 4: Ocean View is 14th.
- Division 3: Garden Grove is sixth.
- Division 4: Bolsa Grande is unranked, but received some votes.
- Division 5: Westminster in sixth.
Prep Sport Spotlight appears on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports