The Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education recognized Athletes and Coaches of Character from each of the district’s seven comprehensive high schools at the Jan. 15 board meeting. The coaches and student athletes represent a wide variety of sports and help develop and enrich GGUSD athletic programs by modeling respect, teamwork, and a winning attitude.
“Each one of these coaches and athletes had an impressive story and it is clear that they are difference makers, not only on their teams but aroundtheir campuses as well,” said Walter Muneton, Board of Education Trustee. “They all understand the value of dedication, hard work, and leadership.”
The Athletes of Character are student scholars who excel in academics, serve as leaders in their sport, and are role models in their schools.
- Bolsa Grande: Selena Guerrero, softball
- Garden Grove: Tiffany Huynh, tennis
- La Quinta: Theodore Nguyen, tennis
- Los Amigos: Aldo Ibarra, water polo and swim
- Pacifica: Taylor Perez, cross country
- Rancho Alamitos: Son Nguyen, volleyball
- Santiago: Trai Pham, football
The Coaches of Character have helped develop CIFand league champions and teach students important skills like determination and confidence.
- Bolsa Grande: Nikole Terflinger, softball
- Garden Grove: William Lou, boys and girls tennis
- La Quinta: Bryan Tran, boys tennis
- Los Amigos: Tim Brogdon, boys water polo and swim
- Pacifica: Joshua Hogate, cross country
- Rancho Alamitos: John Doles, volleyball
- Santiago: Sgt. Vance Richardson, JROTC
The Garden Grove Unified School District serves most of Garden Grove and portions of Santa Ana, Anaheim, Westminster, Cypress, Stanton, and Fountain Valley.