What season is it? High school basketball is starting its playoffs and baseball is right around the corner. That must mean that the CIF-Southern Section all-star football teams and honors have been announced.
A total of 22 local athletes were honored, with three players and one coach receiving top honors. Here are the athletes (and coach) named from schools serving The Tribune’s coverage area of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Division 2: Offensive lineman Grant Conaway (Edison); linebacker Luke Hoggard (Edison).
- Division 5: Receiver Jeremiah Flanagan (Huntington Beach).
- Division 7: Offensive lineman Vince Antonacci (Pacifica).
- Division 9: Mike Carrillo (Garden Grove) was named co-Defensive Player of the Year, sharing the honor with Kion Marshall (Brea Olinda). Also: Offensive linemen Christian Noyola (Orange) and Tafisi Gauta (Garden Grove). Punter Jose Carrillo (Garden Grove). Defensive backs Jacob Zazueta (Garden Grove) and Shawn Haislip (Garden Grove), defensive linemen Kevin Feliuai and Israel Pacheco (Garden Grove).
- Division 11: Anthony Munoz (Western) was named Offensive Player of the Year. Caine Savage (Western) was named Defensive Player of the Year. Dan Davidson (Western) was named Coach of the Year. Also, Offensive back Rahsaan Hester (Western), lineman Ellis Nguyen, Jr., and receivers Caine Savage and James Mendoza (Western). On defense, lineman Danny Walter (Western), linebacker Jacob Domino (Western) and Bobby Palacios (Western).
- Division 12: Offensive lineman Anthony Valdez (Rancho Alamitos), defensive lineman Kevin Reynosa (Rancho Alamitos), punter Israel Martinez (Rancho Alamitos).
- Division 13: Receiver Jaylen Todd (Bolsa Grande). Note: Quarterback Matt Blackney (Loara) was named to the offensive team. Loara is located in Anaheim but is now in the Garden Grove League.
Who stood tall with the basketball?
With the prep high school hoop playoffs underway this week, let’s take a look at who performed especially well from local schools.
For boys, the top local scorer was Sebastian Castro of Garden Grove, who averaged 21.8 points a game. He was fifth overall.
Also doing well were Jakob Alamudun (Marina) with 20.4 points a game and Steven Ruelas (Los Amigos) and Timmy Nguyen (Rancho Alamitos), both at 16.1
In rebounds, the top local was Vincent Caiazzo (Ocean View) with 8.5 rebounds per game. Also top carom stars were Jerry Martinez (Garden Grove) and Omar Ibarra (Rancho Alamitos).
Among the assist leaders were Carson Nguyen (Ocean View) at 5.3 per game and Joshua Lee (Westminster) at 3.6 per game, followed by Castro (Grove) with 3.5.
On the girls’ side, the top local scorers were Kathy Tu (Western) with 17.2 points a game and Katie Nguyen (Marina). For rebounds, the leaders were Ryan Nadeau (La Quinta) at 8.7 per game and Jazmin Martinez (Western) with 8.5.
For assists, the top honor went to Katie Nguyen (Marina) with three per game.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports