It’s not easy to stage a downhill race in a city, that – quite frankly – doesn’t really have any hills. But it you’re inventive like the folks behind the annual Cub Scout Pushcart Darby, you can make it work.
On Saturday, for the 17th time, the derby was held on Springdale Street in West Garden Grove where it crosses over the freeway, forming a kind of “hill” that allows the contestants to ride gravity down to the finish line.
These downhill racers festoon their vehicles with everything from American flags to “Hello Kitty” decorations and rolled down the street under the watchful eye of Scout leaders, parents and a firefighter-paramedic unit from the Garden Grove Fire Department toward the black-and-white checkered flag and victory.
GGUSD graduations schedule announced
Commencement schedules for the Garden Grove Unified School District’s Class of 2019 have been announced.
Because the construction of a new stadium at Bolsa Grande High is still underway, most of the ceremonies will be held at Monsoor Stadium on the Garden Grove High campus.
Here are the graduations to be held at GGHS:
- Garden Grove High, Thursday, June 13 at 1:30 p.m.
- La Quinta High, Thursday, June 13, 4:30 p.m.
- Rancho Alamitos High, Thursday, June 13, 7:30 p.m.
- Bolsa Grande High, Friday, June 14, 1:30 p.m.
- Los Amigos High, Friday, June 14, 4:30 p.m.
- Santiago High, Friday, June 14, 7:30 p.m.
Graduation ceremonies held elsewhere are:
- Pacifica High, Friday, June 14, 4 p.m., Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa (LeBard Stadium).
- Hare (Continuation) High, Thursday, June 13 at 6 p.m. on campus.
- Lincoln Education Center, Friday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m. on campus.
Westminster Crossing before city planners
A design review for the proposed Westminster Crossing mixed-use development will go before the Westminster Planning Commission on Wednesday, June 5.
Planners will look at the latest alterations in the already-approved three-story, 38-foot high residential and commercial development at 7122-7140 Westminster Blvd.
The project will include 65 units. Meta Housing Corporation is the applicant.
The commission will met in the council chambers, 8200 Westminster Blvd, at 6:30 p.m.
Categories: Across the Area