If you’re looking for the most promising local high school football game this week in terms of excitement, the place to be Friday will be Sheue Field at the Huntington Beach High campus.
Edison High (2-0) will host Orange/Lutheran (1-1) in a battle of two of the OC’s most storied programs. The Chargers have two blowout wins so far, and OL is 1-1. But the Lancers compete in the tougher Trinity League and will provide a good match for the EHS boys. They lead with QB Logan Gonzalez and RB Cooper Vander Hill. Edison has two sharp junior quarterbacks in Braeden Boyles and Jacob Hanlon.
We’re picking the green-and-gold but anything can happen with that much talent and this early in the season.
Chargers still on top
But there are some unexpected outcomes. Marina (2-0), which had a rough season in 2018, is strong this year in second place. Western follows in third with Orange in fourth and Loara in fifth.
Garden Grove, which had been rated second last week, debuted with a stunning 48-0 loss to Orange. The Panthers moved from fifth to fourth and the Argonauts fell out of the High Five.
Because of the Labor Day holiday, the CIF-SS rankings are a bit delayed. We will post them as they become available.
And here’s this week’s kickoffs
This week’s lineup of local high school games. Magnolia and Marina have the week off.
- Century (0-1) at Santiago (0-1) at Monsoor Stadium.
- Los Amigos (0-2) at Saddleback (1-0) at Segerstrom High.
- Orange (1-0) at Yorba Linda (1-0).
- Rancho Alamitos (1-0) at Anaheim (1-0) at Glover Stadium.
- Bolsa Grande (1-0) at Cerritos (1-0).
- Loara (1-0) at Costa Mesa (1-0).
- La Quinta (0-1) at Estancia (0-1).
- Santa Ana (1-1) at Garden Grove (0-1).
- Kaiser (2-0) at Westminster (0-1)
- Orange/Lutheran (1-1) at Edison (2-0) at Sheue Field.
- Huntington Beach (0-2) at Wilson/Long Beach (2-0).
- Ocean View (1-0) at University/Irvine (0-1).
- Western (1-1) at Baldwin Park (2-0).
- Pacifica (1-1) at Capistrano Valley (1-1).
All games are set for 7 p.m. As always, game times, days, locations, etc. are subject to change without notice.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports