This round of high school football is a sort of rivalry week in the sense that a series that goes back over 60 years is historic by Orange County standards.
The oldest Garden Grove rivalry game is on Friday with Rancho Alamitos (2-0) visiting Garden Grove (0-2) at Monsoor Stadium. GGHS dates back to 1921 and Rancho to 1957. The series between the two began in 1958 with the Vaqueros winning that first contest 20-12.
In Anaheim, the series is roughly the same in length. Anaheim High opened in 1898 and Western in 1955. Their first football clash was in 1959 in which the Colonists prevailed over the Pioneers 24-6. This year’s renewal will be Friday at WHS’ Handel Stadium.
Also looking interesting is Friday’s contest between Marina and Katella at Glover Stadium in La Palma Park. The Vikings (2-0) and Knights (3-0) are each undefeated. Marina’s start under coach Jeff Turley is especially welcome over on Springdale Street after last year’s 3-7 finish.
Fred DePalma’s program is bit more familiar with good times, having gone 11-1 in 2018 and making it to the CIF-SS Division 8 quarterfinals.
Here’s the week’s schedule for high school football action for teams serving the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster. All games are scheduled for 7 p.m. As always, times, dates, locations and matchups can change without notice, so check with the schools.
- Bolsa Grande (1-1) at Magnolia (0-2) at Handel Stadium.
- Costa Mesa (1-1) at La Quinta (0-2) at Bolsa Stadium.
- Los Amigos (0-2) at Saddleback (1-1) at Segerstrom High.
- Santiago (1-1) at Estancia (1-1) at Orange Coast College.
- Rancho Alamitos (2-0) at Garden Grove (0-2).
- Marina (2-0) at Katella (3-0) at Glover Stadium.
- Artesia (1-2) at Westminster (0-2).
- Beckman (2-1) at Ocean View (2-0).
- Anaheim (1-1) at Western (2-1).
- San Juan Hills (2-1) at Edison (2-1) at Sheue Field.
- Huntington Beach (0-3) at Irvine (0-2).
- Woodbridge (0-3) at Pacifica (1-2) at Bolsa Stadium.
- Loara (2-0) at Esperanza (1-1) at Yorba Linda High.
- Orange (1-1) at Canyon (2-1) at Brea Olinda High School.
Here is this week’s High Five ranking for local prep football teams, as well as the CIF-SS rankings for fall sports that include schools serving The Tribune’s coverage area.
Once again, Edison tops the High 5 this week, despite a close loss to a powerful Orange Lutheran team. The rest of the five (in order) are Marina, Western, Orange and Rancho Alamitos, with Loara and Ocean View also receiving votes.
The High Five votes are from Trib staffers and the Maxpreps.com rankings.
- Division 3: Edison is 10th.
- Division 8: Garden Grove is seventh.
- Division 10: Western is fifth, Orange is sixth.
- Division 11: Marina is ninth.
CIF Boys water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is seventh.
- Division 5: Marina is ninth.
CIF Girls volleyball
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is 15th.
- Division 7: Bolsa Grande is second, Garden Grove is third, Loara is seventh.
CIF Boys and girls cross country
- Boys division 3: Rancho Alamitos is seventh.
- Boys division 6: Ocean View is sixth.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted each Tuesday during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports