While other parts of the nation are being hit by unseasonably early snow and rain, we lucky souls in Orange County are basking in mild temperatures as the leaves (some of them, anyway) slowly turn brown and the football and Oscar races really start to warm up.
Here’s the Trib’s look ahead of what the week before us holds.
- Garden Grove: 74 to 83.
- Huntington Beach: 72 to 80.
- Stanton: 74 to 83.
- Westminster: 74 to 81.
And no rain forecast for the week.
MEETINGS: Not a lot going on this week. The meeting that does stand out is Wednesday’s Westminster Planning Commission conclave at which a presentation will be made on the draft specific plan for the Westminster Mall. That’s at 6:30 p.m. at the council chambers, 8200 Westminster Blvd.
Westminster School District Board of Trustees will meet on Wednesday. Preceding the meeting, a dedication ceremony will be held from 5-6 p.m. dedicating the WSD offices to the Mendez family in honor of the Mendez v. Westminster case that ended school segregation in California. The offices are located at 14121 Cedarwood Ave. in Westminster.
Also, Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education meets on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at 10331 Stanford Ave.
EVENTS: The Great Pacific Air Show will come to Huntington Beach Friday through Sunday in the area around the municipal pier. Friday is a practice day, so the main performances will be from 12-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The air show – featuring jets and classic aircraft – is free to watch, but there are some “upgraded seating options” to purchase.
For more on all of this, go to: https://pacificairshow.com/faq
ENTERTAINMENT: Things to see and do this weekend include:
- Live stage performances continue this week with “Bright Star” at the Gem Theater in Garden Grove on Main Street, Friday through Sunday. Shows Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.
- “Joker,” a kind of prequel to the many Batman movies, is the big film opening this Friday. Joaquin Phoenix stars in this R-rated drama.
SPORTS: The Angels’ 2019 season is thankfully over, but the Anaheim Ducks hockey season is right around the corner, although hockey rinks have no corners.
The Ducks will open the 2019-2020 campaign on Thursday at the Honda Center hosting the Arizona Coyotes at 7 p.m.
As for high school football, most local leagues will be starting play this week. The most interesting league clashes look like this to us:
- Loara (4-1) at Rancho Alamitos (3-2) at Monsoor Stadium on Friday. These are the top two teams from 2018 and could determine the Garden Grove League title again.
- Edison (3-2) at Los Alamitos (1-4) on Friday. The Griffins are having an off-year, but this Sunset League opener could bring some surprises.
The best non-league matchup could be:
- Garden Grove (3-2) at Western (4-1) on Thursday. Argonauts started off slow, losing their first two games, but have won three straight since thanks to a stout defense.
Categories: Across the Area