League play starts this week for most local prep football teams, and there are some interesting non-league contests as well.
The Garden Grove League title could be decided Friday night at Monsoor Stadium on the Garden Grove High School campus as Rancho Alamitos (3-2) hosts Loara (4-1). Rancho is the defending GGL champ and Loara finished second in 2018.
In the Sunset League, the crown in the past has often been decided in the Edison-Los Alamitos game. That’s considered unlikely this year with the Chargers at 3-2 and the Griffins at 1-4 but both teams are loaded with talent, which should make this contest on Friday at Sheue Field a good one.
As for non-league games, Thursday’s clash at Handel Stadium with Western (4-1) hosting Garden Grove (3-2) could also be interesting. The Pioneers are our second-ranked team, but the Argos are improving rapidly after a 0-2 start.
Here’s the list of football games scheduled for this week. As always, dates, times, locations, etc. are subject to change without notice, so check before going. Games are scheduled for 7 p.m. kickoffs.
- Los Amigos (2-3) at Santiago (2-3) at Monsoor Stadium (GGHS).
- Corona del Mar (5-0) at Huntington Beach (1-4).
- Garden Grove (3-2) at Western (4-1).
- Magnolia (3-2) vs. Savanna (1-4) at Glover Field.
- Los Alamitos (1-4) at Edison (3-2) at Scheue Field (HBHS).
- Bolsa Grande (1-4) at La Quinta (1-4) at Bolsa Stafium.
- Loara (4-1) at Rancho Alamitos (3-2) at Monsoor.
- Marina (4-1) at Laguna Beach (4-1).
- Ocean View (3-2) at Westminster (0-5)
- Saddleback (1-4) at Orange (4-1) at Segerstrom High.
Stars of the Gridiron
Here are some of the outstanding performances for teams on local squads.
- Darius Cowens, quarterback for Pacifica, completed eight passes out of 12 attempts for 170 yards and one touchdown in the M’s 55-0 win over Crean Lutheran in the Empire League opener for both teams.
- Jordan Rodriguez of Magnolia intercepted two passes and retuned one for a touchdown in the Sentinels’ 21-7 win over Rancho Alamitos in a non-league contest.
- Issac Galvan of Orange rushed for 201 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers’ 60-14 win over Irvine High.
CIF-SS honors five in football polls
Here are the CIF-SS ratings for teams serving the cities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster, with football first.
Here are local teams listed in this week’s CIF-SS football pools.
- Division 3: Edison is seventh.
- Division 8: Pacifica received votes.
- Division 10: Orange is sixth and Western is seventh.
- Division 11: Marina is fifth.
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is tied for 15th
- Division 7: Garden Grove is fifth, La Quinta is fifth and Loara is seventh. Bolsa Grande received votes.
- Division 8: Santiago is third.
BOYS WATER POLO
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is fourth.
- Division 4: Pacifica is seventh.
- Division 5: Marina is 10th.
- Division 6: Garden Grove is 10th. Western received votes.
- Division 7: Magnolia is 10th. Westminster received votes.
Split decision, but Chargers still on top
But unlike other weeks, it’s not undisputed; the Chargers received two to three first place votes, with the other going to Western. Getting some points for the first time is Pacifica.
Here’s the complete lineup, based on a point system of five points for first, four for second, etc.
Prep Sport Lineup is posted on Tuesday’s during the high school athletic year. Coaches, fans and others of all local high school sports are encouraged to send in results, stats and more to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories: High school sports