One of the most storied rivalry games in Orange County comes around again this Friday in the Battle for the Bell pitting Fountain Valley vs. Edison.
Since the two sister schools – designed by the same architect and nearly identical in outward appearance – first fielded football teams, the annual clash between the Chargers and the Barons has attracted big crowds and high emotions.
On Friday, the two teams will meet at Orange Coast College’s LeBard Stadium in Costa Mesa, likely filling nearly all 7,000 seats. The Chargers (5-3 overall and 2-1 in league) will be the favorite and the Barons (3-5, 0-3) the scrappy underdog.
Last year, EHS prevailed 42-20 as Kobe Lopez rushed for 212 yards and a touchdown. Mike Waters added three TDs on the ground.
In Friday’s contest, its Waters again with 11 touchdowns this season and with two QBs – Braeden Boyles and Jacob Hanlon – who have combined for 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions. For FVHS, Jim Russell has thrown for 956 yards and 12 scores, along with five interceptions.
The leagues of their own
Speaking of league races, here are the league football standings for local teams. League record is listed first, overall in parentheses.
Garden Grove: Santiago 3-0 (5-3), Rancho Alamitos 2-1 (5-3), Loara 2-1 (6-2), La Quinta 2-1 (3-5), Los Amigos 0-3 (2-6), Bolsa Grande 0-3 (1-7).
Empire: Pacifica 3-0 (5-3), Cypress 3-0 (8-0), Tustin 2-1 (4-4), Valencia 1-2 (3-5), Kennedy 0-3 (3-5), Crean Lutheran 0-3 (3-5).
Big 4: Marina 1-0 (6-2), Segerstrom 1-0 (8-0), Garden Grove 0-1 (3-5), Westminster 0-1 (1-7).
Sunset: Corona del Mar 3-0 (8-0), Edison 2-1 (5-3), Los Alamitos 2-1 (3-5), Newport Harbor 2-1 (7-1), Fountain Valley 0-3 (3-5), Huntington Beach 0-3 (1-7).
Pac 4: Western 1-0 (7-1), Laguna Beach 1-0 (5-3), Ocean View 0-1 (5-3), Godinez 0-1 (1-7).
Orange Coast: Santa Ana 3-0 (5-3), Orange 3-0 (7-1), Calvary Chapel 2-1 (7-1), Estancia 1-2 (2-6), Costa Mesa 0-3 (2-6), Saddleback 0-3 (1-7).
Orange: Katella 3-0 (7-1), Santa Ana Valley 3-0 (7-1), Magnolia 2-1 (5-3), Anaheim 1-2 (3-5), Savanna 0-3 (1-7), Century 0-3 (0-8).
Let the games begin
Here are the local prep football games scheduled for this week, all at 7 p.m. As always, times, location, etc. are subject to change without notice, so check before heading out to the stadium.
- Los Amigos at Loara (at Glover Stadium).
- Pacifica at Valencia.
- Crean Lutheran at Kennedy.
- Garden Grove at Westminster.
- Orange at Calvary Chapel (at Segerstrom).
- Rancho Alamitos at Bolsa Grande.
- La Quinta at Santiago (at Monsoor Stadium).
- Huntington Beach at Los Alamitos (at Cerritos College).
- Edison vs. Fountain Valley (at Orange Coast College).
- Western at Laguna Beach.
- Savanna at Magnolia (at Handel Stadium).
Who’s on first? It’s the Chargers again.
Here’s our High Five of the leading football teams in The Tribune’s coverage area of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
As has been the case for the entire season, Edison is the top-ranked team by the Trib. This week Western is all alone in second, compared to a second-place tie with Orange last week which is now tied for third place with Marina. Pacifica is fifth.
The CIF-SS ranking for fall sports, as released Monday, includes these mentions of local teams.
- Division 3: Edison is seventh.
- Division 8: Pacifica is eighth.
- Division 10: Orange is sixth, Western is seventh.
- Division 11: Marina is fourth.
- Division 2: Edison received votes.
Boys water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is fourth.
- Division 4: Pacifica is ninth.
- Division 6: Garden Grove received votes.
- Boys Division 4: Ocean View is 11th.
- Girls Division 4: Ocean View is 15th.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports