The Stanton and Westminster city councils will be meeting this week.
On Tuesday, the Stanton council will meet at 6:30 p.m. in its chambers in City Hall, 7800 Katella Ave., east of Beach Boulevard. The council will take up:
- approval of an agreement for improvements and design for the development of 208 single family condominium units, private streets and a private park area at Village Center Drive (12631-12831 Beach Blvd.);
- approval of the mayor’s appointments to various city boards, commissions, committees and agencies;
- an urgency ordinance and a non-urgency ordinance regarding accessory dwelling units.
On Wednesday, the Westminster council will meet at 7 p.m. in its chambers at 8200 Westminster Blvd. The council will consider establishing a policy regarding language interpreting at city council meetings.
The policy – as requested by city staff – should deal with issues such as:
- distinguishing between a speaker preferring to speak in English versus an inability to speak in English
- clarifying the amount of time given to someone who is reading already-translated material, or the amount of time given to someone who has someone else reading already-translated material
- if the city will continue providing an interpreter regularly and under what circumstances, and how to determine need for interpreting versus a language preference.
Categories: Across the Area