In a sports year like no other, area high schools have finally gotten approval to begin interscholastic athletics, and it’s all about to start a lot faster than you might have thought.
We’ve tried to piece together what’s known about who will play whom when and where, but the details are soft and subject to change. Some schools have cobbled together a plan for as many as seven games while some only have two lined up yet.
In a couple of instances, schools have lined up two opponents on the same day, a condition almost certain to change. As per CIF-SS guidelines, there will be no playoffs as schools try to cram in as many sports seasons into four months as they used to in nine or 10.
The schedule isn’t the only thing that will be different. Attendance by fans will be severely limited or eliminated, face coverings and social distancing – to the extent practical – will be enforced. Cheerleaders and snack bars … pretty unlikely.
What appears below – details about football openers for teams serving the area of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster – is not to be leaned upon too heavily; most of the information comes from maxpreps.com, but other parts come from school websites. Some of what we’ve garnered is subject to change; it’s certainly subject to addition.
But, however ad hoc things might be, it’s nice to see high school sports reappearing. Aside from the benefit of young athletes getting a chance to play, the coming of this most unusual sports “year” is a welcome sign that normality – or a piece of it – may be just around the corner.
- Bolsa Grande: Friday, March 12 vs. Rancho Alamitos
- Edison: Friday, March 12 vs. Trabuco Hills
- Garden Grove: Friday, March 12 vs. Katella
- Huntington Beach: Friday, March 12 vs. Marina
- La Quinta: Thursday, March 18 vs. Rancho Alamitos
- Loara: Thursday, March 18 at Santiago (at Monsoor Stadium)
- Los Amigos: Friday, March 19 vs. Bolsa Grande
- Marina: Friday, March 12 at Huntington Beach
- Magnolia: Thursday, March 18 vs. Western
- Ocean View: Friday, March 12 vs. Estancia
- Orange: Friday, March 12 at Villa Park (Kelly Stadium)
- Pacifica: Friday, March 12 at Fullerton
- Rancho Alamitos: Friday, March 12 at Bolsa Grande
- Santiago: Thursday, March 18 vs. Loara
- Western: Thursday, March 18 at Magnolia
- Westminster: Saturday, March 6 at Troy.
“Sports Monday” is written by Pete Zarustica.