The compressed high school football season for area teams is drawing to a close. No playoffs this year, and league champions will be determined this week and next.
- Big 4: The Argonauts (0-1) can keep hopes alive by beating Segerstrom (1-0) on Friday.
- Empire: Pacifica (2-1 in league)) has a chance to knot up the EL race if it can upset unbeaten Cypress (3-0) on Thursday.
- Garden Grove: Rancho Alamitos (3-0) can earn no worse than a tie for the title with a win over Los Amigos (0-3).
- Orange: Western (3-0) needs only defeat Santa Ana Valley (0-3) for at least a piece of the championship. The Panthers will visit the Saints on April 16 for the game that will probably decide the titlist
- Orange Coast: Orange and Santa Ana are each 1-0 so far in league.
- Pac-4: Ocean View (1-0) can pretty much lock up the crown if it can beat Westminster (0-0)
- Sunset: Barring an upset, Los Alamitos (3-0) is favored to finish. Edison (2-1) needs to beat Corona del Mar (2-1) to keep hopes alive.
Here’s this week’s schedule of varsity football games for high schools serving the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster. As always, times, locations, dates and opponents are subject to change without notice. Game times are at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
Note: According to published reports, the Bolsa Grande vs. Loara game scheduled for Friday has been cancelled because of a lack of healthy football players at BGHS. The rest of the Matadors football schedule has been cancelled, too.
- Century (2-2) at Magnolia (1-2), 6 p.m.
- Pacifica (2-2) at Cypress (3-0) at Handel Stadium
- Bolsa Grande (1-2) vs. Loara (2-1) CANCELLED
- Segerstrom (1-0) at Garden Grove (2-2)
- Los Amigos (0-3) at Rancho Alamitos (4-0) at Bolsa Stadium
- Corona del Mar (3-1) at Edison (3-1)
- Orange (4-0) at St. Anthony (2-1)
- Westminster (0-3) at Ocean View (2-2)
- Marina (3-1) at Katella (2-1)
- Huntington Beach (2-2) at Newport Harbor (1-3)
- Santa Ana Valley (3-0) at Western (3-0).
Edison still high atop our High Five
The top three spots remain unchanged – Edison, Orange and Rancho Alamitos – but new to the list is Marina (3-1), which landed in the fourth spot after defeating Garden Grove, 35-0. Western (3-0) drops to fifth and Huntington Beach (2-2) slid off the High Five.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic season. Send us scores, stats, results, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Categories: High school sports