You could call it “February Frenzy.”
This is when Southern California high schools hold the CIF-SS basketball playoff tournaments for boys’ and girls’ teams. School squads from The Tribune’s coverage area of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster will have the first round on Friday for boys and Saturday for girls.
Here are the pairings as announced by the CIF-SS at midday today (Tuesday). Two boys’ local teams are seeded: Edison second in Division 2A and La Quinta second in Division 5A.
- Edison (24-4) has a bye
- Trabuco Hills (13-11) at Marina (18-9)
- Yucaipa (15-10) at Orangewood Academy (21-6)
- Chadwick (12-6) at Western (14-9)
- Fullerton (13-14) at Santiago (19-9)
- Golden Valley (11-9) at Garden Grove (17-8)
- Duarte (5-10) at La Quinta (16-10).
- Calvary Baptist (11-9) at Bolsa Grande (14-9)
- Orangewood is in Pool B and will open on Saturday at Centennial of Corona. Next will be a game on Wednesday at Sierra Canyon before completing pool play hosting Bishop Montgomery on Saturday, Feb. 19. The winner of each pool advances to the finals on Saturday, Feb. 26.
- Westminster (12-9) at Bassett (10-13)
- Edison (9-18) at Rowland (17-8)
- Claremont (20-8) at Santiago (18-8)
- Orange (9-9) at Calvary Chapel/Downey (10-18)
- Los Amigos (7-18) at Savanna (14-6)
- Geffen Academy (9-5) at Magnolia (12-12)
- Laguna Beach (17-10) at Loara (11-11).
Here’s the pitch: soccer playoffs, too
The game the rest of the world calls “football” is having its winter CIF-SS playoff tournament as well.
Most prominent among area teams is the Huntington Beach boys’ team, which is 14-2-5, the Wave League champion and the number four seed in Division 1.
First round boys action will start on Friday; girls on Saturday. All games will be played at 3 p.m. unless other arrangements are made.
- Millikan (11-6-6) at Huntington Beach (14-2-5)
- Edison (9-7-3) at Villa Park (18-4-1)
- Westminster (8-7-3) at Lynwood (13-5-2)
- El Segundo (6-7) at Santiago (12-4-5)
- Esperanza (7-7-3) at Los Amigos (13-3-1)
- Garden Grove (12-6-1) at Chaparral (9-0-6)
- Loara (8-11-1) at Santa Fe (5-7-2) in Wild Card Game C on Wednesday. The winner will travel to play Los Osos (14-1-2) on Friday.
- Huntington Beach (14-6-3) at Santiago/Corona (18-1-3)
- Edison (13-8-2) at Claremont (19-0-1)
- Pacifica (8-4-3) at Moorpark (11-5-1)
- Ocean View (9-6-2) at La Serna (14-9-2)
- Bolsa Grande (14-2) at Covina (9-4-4)
- Chadwick (8-4-2) at Santiago (5-6-2) in Wild Card Game D on Thursday.
- Sage Hill (7-5-4) at Los Amigos (12-5) in Wild Card Game C on Thursday. The winner will visit Anaheim (13-6) on Saturday.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports
Leave a Reply