For fans of the Garden Grove and Katella high school football teams it’ll be a Saturday night alive at Glover Stadium for what amounts to the championship game of the Big 4 League.
The Knights (3-5 overall and 1-0 in league) will host the Argonauts (7-1, 1-0) in a game in which the winner can do no worse than a tie for the title.
Grove has to be considered the favorite, based on its record and the performance of its star, Malachi Bey. In last week’s 31-23 win over Segerstrom, he rushed for four touchdowns and 270 yards.
He’s averaging 143.4 yards a game and scored 17 touchdowns. The Argos are not one-dimensional, as quarterback Brandon Roth gives Grove a passing threat with 1,171 yards this season.
Katella’s top offensive threat is senior running back and wide receiver Gabriel Dawson, averaging 51.4 yards a game.
The game is scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m. Glover Stadium is in La Palma Park in Anaheim.
Another “championship” game this weekend is on Friday in the four-team Pac 4 League. Westminster (8-0, 1-0) will visit Laguna Beach (5-3, 1-0).
The Lions are the favorites, led by Jason Pham, averaging 88.6 yards a game rushing. He’s scored 11 touchdowns and averages 24 yards on punt returns. The Artists have Nick Rogers (86.8 yards a game rushing; 11 TDs scored) and Jackson Rodriguez (78.1 yards receiving, nine TDs and 31 points kicking).
As with the Big 4 situation, Friday’s victor can do no worse than a tie for the league crown.
In the Garden Grove League, two of the three co-leaders – Los Amigos and Santiago, each 2-1 – will clash on Friday at Monsoor Stadium.
Edison’s battle with Fountain Valley used to be – a while back – a struggle for the Sunset League title, but no more. Regardless, there will be a big crowd for this rivalry game on Friday.
And let’s not forget Friday’s Orange League battle between two unbeaten teams – Santa Ana Valley and Western – at Handel Stadium.
Here’s the schedule for this weekend’s area high school football action. Unless otherwise noted, all games are schedule to start at 7 p.m. Game locations, opponents, dates, etc. are subject to change without notice, so call the school.
• La Quinta (2-6, 1-2) at Bolsa Grande (4-4, 1-2)
• Westminster (8-0, 1-0) at Laguna Beach (5-3, 1-0).
Segerstrom (1-7, 0-1) at Marina (1-7, 0-1) at Bill Boswell Stadium.
• Kennedy (1-7, 0-3) at Pacifica (3-5, 1-2) at Bolsa Stadium.
• Rancho Alamitos (7-1, 2-1) at Loara (3-5, 1-2).
• Fountain Valley (4-4, 0-3) at Edison (7-1, 2-1).
- Huntington Beach (5-3, 1-2) at Los Alamitos (6-2, 3-0).
- Ocean View (1-7, 0-1) at Godinez Fundamental (1-7, 0-1).
- Costa Mesa (3-5, 1-3) at Orange (6-2, 4-0).
- Santa Ana Valley (7-1, 3-0) at Western (6-1, 2-0)
- Anaheim (2-6, 2-1) at Magnolia (2-7, 1-2)
- Los Amigos (6-2, 2-1) at Santiago (6-2, 2-1)
• Garden Grove (7-1, 1-0) at Katella (3-5, 1-0) at Glover Stadium.
Categories: High school sports
Leave a Reply