Regardless of the outcomes, it’s been a pretty glorious winter for Marina High girls’ athletic teams.
The Vikings’ basketball team underlined all that with a 51-43 win over San Pedro High for the CIF SoCal Division V title on Tuesday night
Tiano To led the Vikes with 19 points and seven steals. Rylee Bradley had 14 points and four steals. Sydnie Smith had nine points and 10 rebounds. The team will now advance to the state championships.
It’s been a remarkable year for the Vikes. They had a bumpy time and at one point lost five in a row. However, they won three straight in the CIF-SS playoffs before falling 39-38 to Gahr in the Division 5AA title game.
In the SoCal regionals, the Vikings beat Lompoc and got revenge against Gahr by a 49-43 score and defeated South Hills 62-47 in the semifinal to set up the title game.
The Marina girls’ soccer team lost by the narrowest of margins in the CIF SoCal Division III final on Saturday. After Moorpark and the Vikings played to a 1-1 tie, the Musketeers won 11-10 in a shootout.
Marina finished the season at 13-8-6 and was the Sunset Wave champions, and finished second in the CIF-SS Division 3 playoffs, losing 2-1 to Moorpark.
Spring polls honor 13
This week’s CIF-SS polls for spring sports have 13 local teams mentioned.
- Division 1: Huntington Beach (ninth).
- Division 6: Garden Grove (sixth)
- Division 7: Bolsa Grande (received votes).
- Division 1: Pacifica (10th)
- Division 2: Marina (first)
- Division 4: Edison (sixth)
- Division 5: Ocean View (received votes).
- Division 7: Los Amigos (eighth).
- Division 2: Edison (sixth)
- Division 4: Rancho Alamitos (fifth)
- Division 5: Garden Grove (received votes)
- Divisions 1/2: Edison (second)
- Division 3: Huntington Beach (ninth).
Categories: High school sports