Some of our West Orange County football teams will be winding up their pre-league schedules this weekend and getting ready for conference play next week.
None of our locals have emerged unbeaten, and there are only a few games this Thursday and Friday which shape up as “must-see” contests, except – of course – if your kid is playing.
The two best matchups look to be on Friday with Western (2-1) visiting Banning High (2-1) of Wilmington in an intersectional match and Edison (1-1) at Palos Verdes (3-0).
Quarterback Anthony Luna has passed for 770 yards and seven touchdowns with just two interceptions. His favorite receivers are Joshua Faukner (288 yards and five TDs) and Desmin Joshway-Fairley (264 yards and three TDs).
As for the Banning Pilots, quarterback Robert Guerrero has thrown for 641 yards and six touchdowns and rushed for 117 yards and two scores. The top ball-carrier is Keshawn Galloway with 155 yards and four touchdowns.
Edison has been a powerhouse in football for half a century, and is strong again this year. Just how strong will be put to the test. Julius Gillick has run for 298 yards and has scored four times,
QB Save Niumata has passed for 368 yards and two scores.
The Sea Kings are led by freshman quarterback Ryan Rakowski, who has passed for 361 yards and three touchdowns and run for another 50 yards. Erick Mulkey is the top rushing threat with 233 yards and four scores. He’s complemented by Hobbs Brannan with 201 yards and four TDs.
The Chargers (1-1) will travel to the South Bay to play Palos Verdes (3-0) on Friday.
Prep football schedule
Here’s the lineup of high school football games scheduled this week. As always, the details – including time and location – are subject to change. Game times typically at 7 p.m.
Rancho Alamitos (1-1) at Savanna (0-3)
Glendora (3-0) at Pacifica (0-2)
Redlands (3-0) at Marina (1-2)
Magnolia (0-2) at Katella (0-3)
Bolsa Grande (2-1) at Century (1-1)
Gahr (2-0) at Garden Grove (1-2)
Redondo Union (2-0) at Huntington Beach (1-2)
Edison (1-1) at Palos Verdes (3-0)
La Quinta (2-1) at Costa Mesa (1-2)
Los Amigos (1-1) at Cabrillo (2-1)
La Habra (1-2) at Orange (1-2)
Santiago (2-1) at Estancia (1-1)
Western (2-1) at Banning (2-1)
Anaheim (1-2) at Westminster (2-1)
Top performances last week:
- Ethan Nguyen (Bolsa Grande) passed for 195 yards and three touchdowns, and rushed for 46 yards and a touchdown vs. Artesia.
- David Nguyen (Bolsa Grande) rushed for 172 yards and two scores.
- Brandon Roth (Garden Grove) passed for 153 yards and rushed for 84 yards vs. Santa Ana.
- Pablo Reyes (Garden Grove) rushed for 131 yards.
- Cooper Harnes (La Quinta) rushed for six touchdowns vs. Saddleback.
- Ardwon Morris (Orange) rushed for 175 yards and two touchdowns vs. Foothill.
- Benny Burns (Westminster) passed for 185 yards and four touchdowns vs. Santa Ana Valley.
- Jesus Ortega (Westminster) rushed for 130 yards and one TD.
- Jason Mejia (Westminster ) had 117 all-purpose yards.
- Anthony Luna (Western) had 157 all-purpose yards vs. El Toro.
- Ruben Mendez (Santiago) had 146 yards rushing and one touchdown vs. Savanna.
Note to readers: Our High Five ranking of area high school football teams will start with our Sept. 13 issue.
Categories: High school sports