League action starts for a bunch of area high school football teams this weekend.
Garden Grove League play has games on Thursday and Friday. There’s no clear favorite in the GGL as four of six teams have 3-2 records.
Thursday’s Rancho Alamitos vs. Santiago game should give us a clearer picture of the outlook there.
In Empire League action, two next-door neighbors – Cypress (2-3) and Pacifica (1-4) – meet in a game that usually generates a lot of interest, and Corona del Mar (3-2) vs. Edison (2-3) will have a big impact on the eventual Sunset League standings.
In the Orange League, it would be the upset of the season if Magnolia (0-5) could defeat Western (4-1).
Here’s the schedule for this week’s area football games. As always, the locations, times, dates are subject to change without notice, Unless noted, all games are scheduled for a 7 p.m. start. Note: Orange and Garden Grove are idle this week.
Rancho Alamitos (3-2) at Santiago (3-2), 6:30 p.m.
Bolsa Grande (3-2) at Loara (0-5), 6:30 p.m.
Marina (2-4) at Los Altos (0-5)
La Quinta (3-2) at Los Amigos (2-3)
Westminster (4-2) at Katella (1-5)
Cypress (2-3) at Pacifica (1-4)
Corona del Mar (3-2) at Edison (2-3)
Huntington Beach (3-2) at Newport Harbor (2-3)
Magnolia (0-5) at Western (4-1)
Ocean View (4-2) at Garey (0-5).
Top Performances Last Week
- Anthony Luna (Western) completed 18 of 20 passes for 301 yards and two touchdowns against Garden Grove.
- Frankie Armenta (Ocean View) passed for 95 yards against Pioneer High of Whittier.
- Save Niumata (Edison) passed for 166 yards and two touchdowns against Wilcox High.
- Benny Burns (Westminster) passed for 139 yards and two scores against Cerritos.
- Ardwon Harris (Orange) rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns against St. Margaret’s.
Categories: High school sports