Observances of the anniversary of 9/11 and several new films are on the menu for this weekend in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. Here’s our list:
Opening Friday in area cinemas:
- “Sully.” Clint Eastwood directs this PG-13 film about the pilot behind the “Miracle on the Hudson” when a jet plane was landed safely in the river after both its’ engines failed. Tom Hanks stars, along with Aaron Eckhart.
- “When The Bough Breaks.” A dangerous love triangle starring Susan Jaz, Trevor Sinclair and Chestnut Regent. Rated PG-13.
- “The Wild Life.” An animated take on the “Robinson Crusoe” story, told from the animal’s point of view. Rated PG.
- “The Disappointments.” Suspense-thriller about a house haunted by an evil spirit. Starring Kate Beckinsdale. Rated R.
The 15th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001 will be observed with events in these three cities. All are on Sunday.
- Huntington Beach: Unveiling of the 9/11 memorial in the City Hall area (2000 Main St.) from 2-4 p.m. Also, an observance at 6 p.m. at the Pier Plaza (just north of the city pier) at 6 p.m.
- Garden Grove: The principal observance will be at the Festival Amphitheatre on Main Street starting at 7:30 p.m. Entitled “September 11th: We Will Never Forget,” the event will be hosted by John Walcutt, artistic director of Shakespeare Orange County. There will be a special performance by the Orchestre Surreal. Tickets are $20. For more information, go to http://shakespeareoc.org/sept11/ .
- Westminster, the 9/11 observance will be combined with Dia de La Familia in Sigler Park from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. The specific memorial remarks will be made at 2:45 p.m. The park is located at 7301 Plaza St., south of Westminster Boulevard.
The Oktoberfest celebration at Old World in Huntington Beach (Center Avenue at Gothard Street) starts on Sunday at 2 p.m. The first day is a fundraiser for the Kiwanis Club of Huntington Beach. Admission is $10, which gets you meal choice of brat or chicken with two sides. Dachshund Wiener Dog races are from 3 to 4 p.m.
Categories: Arts & Leisure