About 750 high school students from the Garden Grove Unified School District are gearing up to assemble a street-legal pure-electric vehicle through a grant-funded partnership with The Switch Lab.
Students from Bolsa Grande, Rancho Alamitos, Los Amigos and Santiago high schools in engineering or auto programs will assemble the vehicle. The SWITCH lab is providing the materials, study materials and other help at no cost to the district.
The GGUSD serves most of Garden Grove and portions of Westminster and other cities.
BORED? NOT THIS WEEKEND
- Surf City Days (both days, all day): Surf contest, VW bus show, volleyball tournament.
- Pacific Islander Festical (both days, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.): Music, performers and food at Central Park.
- Coastal/Inner Coastal Cleanup (Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon): At the beach at Beach Boulevard entrance off Pacific Coast Highway; at Central Park, using the Slater Avenue entrance.
- Huntington Beach Police Open House (Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) HBPD parking lot, 2000 Main St.
- Ninth Annual Blessing of the Waves, (Sunday, 8:30 a.m. Pier Plaza (just north of the city pier).
SENIORS B-E-E SMART
The annual Senior Spelling Bee will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. in the H. Louis Lake Senior Center dining room, 11300 Stanford Ave., Garden Grove.
All contestants must be 60 years or older and pre-register by Thursday, Sept. 15. For more information, call (714) 741-5253.
The City of Westminster is offering a variety of sports for ages 5-12 years old. Registration is now being accepted for basketball, soccer and street hockey, with practices held at Bolsa Chica, Liberty and Sigler parks. The fee is $30 per particpipant for a 10-week program. Plus you get a T-shirt. The programs begin the week of Sept. 26.
Register at www.westminster-ca-gov or call (714) 895-2860 for more information.
The H. Louis Lake Senior Center will be hosting a “Smoovie” Day (Smoothie and a movie) on Thursday, Sept. 22 starting at 9:45 a.m. in the Community Meeting Center’s A room, 11300 Stanford Ave., Garden Grove.
“The Finest Hours,” a film about the U.S. Coast Guard’s mission to save two oil tankers during a storm in 1952 will be screened. It stars Chris Pine, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster. Admission is free.
Categories: Across the Area