Movies, plays and a salute to American veterans highlight this weekend in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
Films opening this week in area:
- “Arrival.” Mysterious alien craft appear on Earth and only Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner can communicate with them. Also starring Forest Whitaker. Rated PG-13.
- “Almost Christmas.” A holiday gathering involving members of a contentious family turns into anger and laughs. Starring Danny Glover and a large ensemble cast. Rated PG-13.
- “Shut In.” A child goes missing and the mother begins to believe he is dead and his ghost is haunting her. Starring Naomi Watts. Rated PG-13.
- “Get Smart” continues this weekend at the Huntington Beach Playhouse with performances Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m. In the Central Library building, Goldenwest Street at Talbert Avenue.
- “A Piece of My Heart” opens this weekend at the Mainstage Theater at Golden West College in Huntington Beach. Performances are Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. It’s the story of six American nurses serving in Vietnam. For more, go to http://www.gwctheater.com/piece-heart-november-11-20/
A Veterans Day ceremony will be held Friday at 11 a.m. at the Pier Plaza in Huntington Beach. The event is sponsored by the city and American Legion Post 133. There will be music by the Huntington Beach High School band and a keynote speech by Capt. Noel Dahle, commanding officer at the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. The plaza is located at Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway.
Categories: Arts & Leisure