It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. Films, plays and other events are heralding the arrival of the season. Here’s a look at what’s in store.
- “Winterfest 2016” will be held Friday at Atlantis Play Center from 4-7:30 p.m. There will be snow, pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus, food, rides, music, etc. General admission is $10, with children 2 and under free. Tickets are available through Friday (today). Atlantis is located a 13630 Atlantis Way (north of Garden Grove Park) in Garden Grove.
- Westminster’s annual Tree-Lighting Ceremony and Community Sing is set for Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the Westminster Civic Center, 8200 Westminster Blvd. There will be a visit from Santa and performances by community groups including the Westminster High School choir and the Westminster Chorale. Refreshments will be sold and Starbucks will provide samples of its holiday drinks and treats.
- Garden Grove’s 10th annual Christmas Tree Lighting will be held on Tuesday starting at 6:30 p.m. in the Village Green Park at the corner of Main and Euclid streets. There will be entertainment, music, a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus and illumination of the 40-foot holiday tree. Admission is free.
- “The Holiday Gem” continues at the Gem Theater on Main Street in Garden Grove with performances Fridays and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. It’s a festive revue of holiday moments including Santa and his tap-dancing elves. Through Dec. 18.
- “The Little Mermaid” continues at the Rose Center Theater in the Westminster Civic Center, with performances by Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. Closes Dec. 18.
- “Greetings” opens Friday at the Westminster Community Playhouse and continues Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. on Dec. 4, 11 and 18. It’s a spiritual comedy taking place on Christmas Eve. Theater is at 7200 Maple St. in Westminster.
Not a lot of holiday cheer in the one major release this weekend.
- “Incarnate” stars Aaron Eckhart as an exorcist who tries to battle a demon who turns out to be the same evil spirit which earlier killed his family. Rated PG-13.
Categories: Arts & Leisure