It’s not the number of shots on goal you get, it’s the number of shots you get that go into the goal. The Winnipeg Jets outsthot the Anaheim Ducks 33-27 on Monday night at MTS Center, but were outscored 3-2.
The Ducks got goals from Ryan Getzlaf, Logan Shaw and Rickard Rakell to post the win, improving the team’s record to 27-14-9, worth 61 points and keeping the Orange County team in first in the NHL Pacific Division.
Anaheim built a 2-1 first period lead and after a scoreless second, got what proved to be the game-winner with Getzlaf’s tally at 8:48 of the third on a power play. In goal, Johnathan Bernier had 30 saves and improved his personal record to 8-4-1.
“I thought we played a simple road game,” said Bernier, who especially excelled during penalty-killing in the third. “We found a way to win and that’s what mattered.”
The Ducks will now return to Anaheim on Wednesday hosting the Edmonton Oilers (26-15-8), the third place team in the Pacific.
MONDAY WAS A HOOPS DAY, TOO
The Sunset League girls’ basketball schedule included three games on Monday night.
Here are scores for teams in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
- Orangewood Academy 74, Webb 44
- Edison 52, Fountain Valley 21
- Huntington Beach 48, Los Alamitos 46
- Marina 65, Newport Harbor 34
CIF-SS WINTER SPORTS RANKINGS
Here are the rankings for CIF-SS winter sports as released Monday involving area teams.
- Boys’ Open Division Basketball Watch List: Edison.
- Boys’ Division 1AA: Edison, 16th.
- Boys’ Division 3AA: Ocean View, 12th.
- Boys’ Division 3A: Pacifica, 15th
- Boys’ Division 4A: Santiago, 13th
- Girls’ Open Division Watch List: Orangewood
- Girls’ Division 1A: Orangewood fourth, Huntington Beach sixth
- Girls’ Division 3AA: Pacifica fourth
- Girls’ Division 4AA: La Quinta, 13th
- Boys’ Division 3 Soccer: Santiago, second
- Boys’ Division 4: Garden Grove, first
- Girls’ Division 1 Soccer: Edison, third
- Girls’ Division 5: Garden Grove, 10th
- Girls’ Division 6: Los Amigos, first
- Girls’ Division 1 Water polo: Huntington Beach, tied for 10th
- Girls’ Division 6: Garden Grove, sixth.