Garden Grove Unified School District hosted its 39th annual First Impressions Art Show to celebrate the creative talent of hundreds of students from all grade levels from preschool to high school. Awards were presented at the Community Meeting Center on Saturday.
- Marvin Nguyen, a fourth grader from Post Elementary School, with the Mayor’s Award for his watercolor piece called “Guardian Eagle.
- La Quinta High School freshman Nhan Quach with the President of the School Board Award for his piece titled “Carnival.”
- Cynthia Ramirez, an eighth grader from Irvine Intermediate School with the Superintendents’ Award for her piece “Butterflies and Roses.”
- Best in Show for kindergarten to sixth grade went to Minh Tran, a sixth grader at Cook Elementary School for her piece “Hidden Beauty.”
- Best in Show 7-8 went to McGarvin Intermediate School eighth grader Chloe Nguyen for her piece “Blackout Poetry Dragon.”
- The 9-12 Best in Show award to Tuyet Nhi Tran, a 10th grader at La Quinta High School, for her piece called “Beauty.”
- Garden Grove High School senior Kassidy Flores’ piece titled “Floating Fun” was chosen for the program cover, and was designed using inspiration from art by Josiah Fuentes, a kindergarten student from Post Elementary School.
CALLING ALL GRADUATES
The City of Garden Grove is seeking names and information from Garden Grove residents who are graduating this year with an undergraduate or post-graduate academic degree. Graduates who submit their information will be invited to the 5th annual Garden Grove College Graduates’ Reception on Tuesday, May 9, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The event recognizes local college graduates for their outstanding achievements in higher education. Submit your information by April 30.
To RSVP, go to https://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/grads.
EASTER BUNNY ON HIS WAY
That popular spring hare will be at Westminster Mall starting on Friday, March 30. Events will include:
- KidX Hop Into Spring on Saturday, March 25 will mean an afternoon with crafts, games and giveaways, along with a bounce house. Location: Macy’s court, lower level.
- Easter Bunny Photo Experience, Friday, March 30 to Saturday, April 15, also at Macy’s court, lower level.
- Sensitive Bunny Sunday, April 2 from 8:30 to 11 a.m., an event for children with special needs to enjoy the tradition of taking photos with the Easter Bunny.
- Pet Phone Night With Easter Bunny, Sunday, April 9 from 6-9 p.m. Bring your dog or cat for photos with the Easter Bunny. Leashes or carriers are a requirement.
The mall will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 16. For more information, call (714) 898-2559 or go to www.westminstermall.com .
VETERAN’S BBQ IS COOKING
A barbecue for military veterans will be held on Friday, March 31 at the Haster Basin Park in Garden Grove from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for all military veterans and their families.
There will be free food and information about veteran services provided by the North Orange County Veteran’s Center. The park is located 12952 Haster St. (at Lampson Avenue). For information, call (714) 776-0161.
Categories: Across the Area