If you like musicals, this is a good weekend for you. Two classic and foot-tapping musicals are on local stages in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area to highlight the area entertainment choices.
Films opening this weekend include:
- “The Circle”: Tom Hanks and Emma Watson star in this PG-13 film about a charismatic computer guy and the secret behind his corporation.
- “Sleight”: A street magician has to use his skills at illusions to battle the criminal underworld. Rated R.
- “How to Be A Latin Lover”: An over-the-hill gigolo tries to make one last conquest. Rated PG-13.
Live theater this weekend:
- “Hairspray: The Broadway Musical” opens this Friday at the Mainstage Theater at Golden West College in Huntington Beach. Set in 1962 Baltimore, it’s the story of a chubby girl with big rock and roll dreams set against the background of the rising civil rights movement. Shows Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. through May 7.
- “The Music Man” continues this week at the Gem Theater on Main Street in downtown Garden Grove. Shows Friday through Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. through May 14.
The 60th annual St. Columban’s Parish Festival will be going on Friday through Sunday 10801 Stanford Ave., in Garden Grove. Free admission and parking. Rides, games, food, beer and wine, entertainment and more. Friday 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Categories: Arts & Leisure