Sixth grade students from Murdy Elementary School in Garden Grove have concluded a yearlong study about the power of gratitude with a special celebration last week that honored a group of heroes who have overcome life’s greatest challenges.
The celebration is a culminating event of “The Gratitude Project,” during which students share what they learned about gratitude from interviews with 97-year-old Tuskegee Airman and U.S. veteran Lt. Col. Robert J. Friend, Interpreter with the U.S. Special Forces Luc Lien Nguyen, U.S. Army Ranger and Vietnam Veteran 2nd Lt. Dan Barlow, Signal Corp South Vietnam Veteran 2nd Lt. Khang Manh Tu, Artist Hai Pham, U.S. Navy Seal and Vietnam Veteran Andy McTigue, and family elders.
“The Gratitude Project is a one-of-a-kind living history lesson that has a profound, life-changing impact on students in a way that no textbook could,” said Lan Nguyen, Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education President.
“The Gratitude Project” was launched three years ago by sixth grade teachers Valerie Del Carlo and Mark Keller. After interviewing family elders and six in-class participants, students respond through art and writing. Many students uncover details of their family legacy for the first time and gain a deeper understanding of freedom, hardship, bravery, and love of country.
Vision wellness classes offered
The Westminster Senior Center will be hosting two classes with the Braille Institute on Thursday, June 8 at 10 a.m. and Thursday, June 22 at 10 a.m.
Theme of the classes will be “Low Vision Wellness” and the topics will be the business of living and staying connected. The Senior Center is located at 8200 Westminster Blvd. Call (714) 895-2878 for more information.
Freeway work will close lanes
Pre-construction surveying will close some lanes of the San Diego (405) Freeway through Thursday, according to Cal Trans.
- Southbound lanes 3 and 4 from Valley View Street to Westminster Boulevard.
- Southbound car pool and lane 1 from Goldenwest Street to Magnolia Street.
- Southbound lanes 3 and 4 from Bolsa Avenue to Magnolia Street.
- Southbound lanes 3 and 4 from McFadden Avenue to Edinger Avenue.
- Southbound lanes 3 and 4 from Ward Street to Harbor Boulevard.
- Southbound onramp at Warner Avenue.
- Southbound onramp at Euclid Street.
- Northbound lanes 3 and 4 from Westminster Boulevard to Valley View Street.
- Northbound on- and offramp at Westminster Boulevard.
- Northbound offramp to Bolsa Chica Road
- Northbound offramp to Beach Boulevard.
Categories: Across the Area