Huntington Beach

Chemical reaction sends one to hospital

A HAZARDOUS materials incident in southeastern Huntington Beach brought out the fire department (HBFD photo).

One person was hospitalized with what are considered “minor injuries” in a hazardous materials incident Friday morning in Huntington Beach. According to Capt. Eric McCoy of the Huntington Beach Fire Department, it took place at around 7:23 a.m. at 8239 Noelle Dr. in the southeastern part of the city.

A resident had been trying to clear a clogged drain and mixed two separate chemicals in a sink. There was an unexpected reaction of the substances and the vapors causes the injuries. He was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

The HBFD’s Hazardous Materials Team arrived, entered the building and ended the threat.

The HBFD cautions against mixing chemicals and cleaning products because the reaction can cause serious injuries. “Be sure to always read the product labels before using household or commercial cleaning products,” according to Capt. McCoy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s