It’s a big weekend for musical events in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster, topped by the High and Mighty Festival to be held Saturday and Sunday at the Village Green Park in downtown Garden Grove. Headlining the event will be Sublime with Rome, Soja, Stick Figure and five other rock bands.
Gates to the fenced-in concert area will open at noon on Saturday, with music lasting until 10 p.m. On Sunday, the gates will open at noon with music until 9 p.m.
There will be carnival rides, craft beer bars and a full vendor village. For tickets (starting at $39), go to http://highandmightyfest.com .
Other musical events in the area this week include:
- The Kellye Huff Band will perform modern country music in a free concert at Eastgate Park in West Garden Grove Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
- Retro Soul will play dance music in a free concert at 6 p.m. in the Westminster Civic Center on Thursday.
- Bob Desena will perform Latin jazz and fiery rhythms on Sunday at 5 p.m. in Central Park in Huntington Beach.
Opening this week in local cinemas:
- “The Dark Tower.” This film, based on a series of best-selling Stephen King novels, is a collision of Wild West and fantasy action. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor and Idris Elba. Rated X.
- “Kidnap.” Halle Berry stars in this R-rated story of a mother pursing the kidnapper of her young son.
Live theater in the area this week:
- “Things My Mother Taught Me” continues at the Westminster Community Playhouse, 7272 Maple St., Friday through Sunday.
The Vans U.S Open of Surfing continues through Sunday at the city pier and beach in Huntington Beach. For the schedule, go to http://www.vansusopenofsurfing.com/2017/schedule/.
Categories: Arts & Leisure
Leave a Reply