Uh-oh! Back-to-school is creeping up. Looking for the fun stuff to do before the routines of fall set in? Here are some ideas for the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
A light week in new movie releases; the studios are saving the bigger stuff for the Labor Day weekend. Here’s what’s coming out this weekend.
- “Annabelle: Creation.” A spooky haunted doll scares a bunch of people who just can’t seem to have the good sense to get out of the house. Rated R.
- “The Glass Castle.” An eccentric couple raises a daughter to forgo material things, but she grows up to marry a financier. Starring Woody Harrelson, Naomi Watts and Brie Larson. Rated PG-13.
The summer movie concert series are continuing. Here’s what’s on tap.
- The last free concert of the year at Eastgate Park in Garden Grove will feature The Answer, a classic rock band, on Thursday beginning at 7 p.m. Preceding that will be the finals of the Voice of Garden Grove 2017 contest at 6:30 p.m. with five high school students competing for the honor and a $1000 prize, half of which goes to their school’s choral program.
- In Westminster on Thursday, Abbey Road, a Beatles tribute band, will perform in the Civic Center Sunken Gardens on Westminster Boulevard, east of Beach Boulevard. The free event will run from 6-7:30 p.m.
- The Huntington Beach Concert Band’s series of free Sunday concerts will feature the Covina Concert Band at Central Park (Goldenwest Street and Talbert Avenue) in Huntington Beach, starting at 5 p.m.
Also this weekend in Garden Grove the next-to-last round of the Karaoke Fest, a prequel event to the 18th annual Elvis Festival, set for Aug. 27. This Sunday, three categories will be contested on Main Street, north of Garden Grove Boulevard. At 10:30 a.m. a children’s event will be held, followed by a “Tributes” session at noon for those who look, act or sing like a popular singing star. The Elvis competition will begin at 1:30 p.m.
Troop 1, founded in Huntington Beach in 1917, will hold a “100 Years of Scouting” event on Saturday in Lake Park. An open house will be held in the Russ Paxson Cabin at 11 a.m., with lunch served at 12 and a ceremony at 2 p.m. The park is located at 1035 11th St. in Huntington Beach.
Categories: Arts & Leisure